10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I've read to this point all signs indicate that the Civic will share a new modular platform with the Accord...

ew spy photos of a prototype testing in the U.S. biggest that the company is already testing a replacement to the current model, which is struggling against better-equipped compact cars. The next Civic is expected to be a global car based on a scalable platform that will also underpin the Accord.
There have been grumblings on forums as well, but this is one of the first times I've seen it in 'official' print

·
Registered
170 Posts
The Accord has been the platform for other previous vehicles, such as the Prelude, so not surprising seeing as how the Civic just keeps on getting bigger and bigger with every subsequent generation.

·
Registered
876 Posts
That sure is consistent with what we just saw today with the spy shots, the new Civic seems big, from the looks of it... possibly bigger than the 8th generation Civic.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Remember when the Civic was a compact car? Now as a midsize car it seems like only a few more years until it balloons into a fullsize car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I hope the new civic wont hit midsize, it'd be to big for my tastes and would leave a gap in the Honda lineup wouldn't it? I know the Honda Fit is there but still.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2014 Civic Sedan

LxWxH (in): 179.4 x 69 x 56.5

1991 Accord Sedan

LxWxH (in): 184.8 x 67.9 x 52.8

It grown by nearly a segment size in 20 years, granted all segments have grown so its a bit like moving goalposts, regardless soon they're going to need that fit sedan here to satisfy the ideological position of Civic...

·
Registered
991 Posts
I'd like it if the Civic and Accord were differentiated more, aka not on the same platform. They are both hugely popular vehicles and I think it would be nice if they were a bit more unique from one another.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd like it if the Civic and Accord were differentiated more, aka not on the same platform. They are both hugely popular vehicles and I think it would be nice if they were a bit more unique from one another.
Modular means scalable as in changeable. Which realistically is just a dimensionally flexible plank that you can build cars on. VW has been doing this for years which is how they can build the Golf and the Passant off the same basic architecture or the A4 and the A8 for example...

·
Registered
170 Posts
2014 Civic Sedan

LxWxH (in): 179.4 x 69 x 56.5

1991 Accord Sedan

LxWxH (in): 184.8 x 67.9 x 52.8

It grown by nearly a segment size in 20 years, granted all segments have grown so its a bit like moving goalposts, regardless soon they're going to need that fit sedan here to satisfy the ideological position of Civic...
Thanks for the comparison! I had a 1991 Accord sedan and thought that it was about the same size as my 2012 Si coupe but was too lazy to look up the specifications. Remember when the Fit was a B-segment car? Now it looks like a miniature Odyssey. More room is nice, but I like driving small cars: small radius u-turns, fit in tight parking spaces, and generally good fuel efficiency. And I undercompensate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts