10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found the way to connect to my home's wifi by swiping down on the touch screen. (I also found it hilarious that my car has Airplane mode.)

But... what's the point of connecting it to my home's wifi? What do I get out of that?

Or worse, will it expose me to all the malware out there?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I don't see much value to it unless you spend a ton of time in the garage using the cars wifi hotspot to begin with LOL

·
Registered
331 Posts
The WiFi isn't a hotspot as the car does not have its own telephony to get to the 'net. (Some GM cars, for instance, have their own 3G/4G connectivity, so their WiFi can act like a hotspot.) They are expecting you will use it for the car to connect to a hotspot enabled on your phone.

Then it can be used for Pandora, Aha, or HondaLink connectivity to the 'net. (Or the Android browser, FTM.)

If you aren't going to use those things, I wouldn't enable it.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I wouldn't worry about malware right now though. I haven't heard of much, if any, malware that is targeted at vehicle operating systems.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The WiFi isn't a hotspot as the car does not have its own telephony to get to the 'net. (Some GM cars, for instance, have their own 3G/4G connectivity, so their WiFi can act like a hotspot.) They are expecting you will use it for the car to connect to a hotspot enabled on your phone.

Then it can be used for Pandora, Aha, or HondaLink connectivity to the 'net. (Or the Android browser, FTM.)

If you aren't going to use those things, I wouldn't enable it.
Well, not Pandora. The Pandora app in the HU only connects (BT for Android; iPhone has to use the USB cable) to the app on your phone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Its for users with out smart phones to connect to their homes WiFi and use the Honda Link Application. Book appointments, get recall information etc.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Its for users with out smart phones to connect to their homes WiFi and use the Honda Link Application. Book appointments, get recall information etc.
Another awesome thing is at most Starbucks locations you can pick up the Wifi signal if you were to park closest to the door which helps a lot since i'm sure whatever we have to do will eat up a lot of data.

·
Registered
331 Posts
If you (can) setup your phone as a WiFi hotspot and train the Civic to connect to it, you can get this to work wherever you have data coverage.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Depends on your service plan and what you use over the connection. I bet just HondaLink doesn't use that much data. Pandora? Aha? Potentially a lot more. But if you are interested in using this stuff, you probably already know their data cost and are paying for a fat plan.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You can link anywhere with WiFi, Starbucks, McDonalds. For people without smartphones, it could be useful. I have used mine in the driveway as my Civic is one of the ones with the Piston Ring recall, but the recall or appointments, etc have never registered with my Civic's on screen HondaLink. As time goes on, I'm sure they will catch up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi !
I'm planning to purchase a Civic LE with the CarPlay. I'm wondering if I could activate the Wi-fi tethering to use CarPlay.
I mean, as far as I understand, to use the CarPlay features, your need to plug your iPhone (with wire) to the car. Then, the music app, podcast, etc are usable. Ca we get rid of this (plug the wire) to get Apple CarPlay features ?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
You can link anywhere with WiFi, Starbucks, McDonalds. For people without smartphones, it could be useful. I have used mine in the driveway as my Civic is one of the ones with the Piston Ring recall, but the recall or appointments, etc have never registered with my Civic's on screen HondaLink. As time goes on, I'm sure they will catch up.
I've actually done the same thing with my phone, parked right outside a Starbucks, within 15-20 feet of the store and was able to pick up a strong signal. Depending on how good the wifi receiver is on our cars we might not have to park as close.

But there's always the option of installing a Wifi receiver extender for more range.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Hi !
I'm planning to purchase a Civic LE with the CarPlay. I'm wondering if I could activate the Wi-fi tethering to use CarPlay.
I mean, as far as I understand, to use the CarPlay features, your need to plug your iPhone (with wire) to the car. Then, the music app, podcast, etc are usable. Ca we get rid of this (plug the wire) to get Apple CarPlay features ?
Isn't Wifi tethering just allowing other devices to leech data off you? Not sure if it works the same as tethering with a cable. Maybe someone with an Apple product can help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't think you should enable it. But in general, it is interesting to look at how fast technology is changing, IT is one of the best domains where to invest. There are a lot of courses on the internet that can help you in learning new programming languages. I have recently passed a course on spotoclub.com and it is really helpful, The course lasting was about 3 months, after that I passed an exam, and I received an internationally recognized diploma, try it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts