10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first car I'm financing myself and want to stay protected. Should I get a dash cam? Do any of you use one? Links? Thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I can tell you a story that might make you want one...

Was driving my girlfriend's car to visit her parents, a town about 400 miles away. She was napping, I was simply driving with the cruise control - speed limit was 65, I had it set so I was maintaining in the right lane just behind what traffic in front of me was doing... probably just under 70. Traffic in the right lane occasionally going faster and passing by.

Suddenly, all the traffic in front of me slammed on the brakes - the whole field of cars - so I did as well. Mind you we're on the highway in what looks like the middle of nowhere, so I'm wondering what that was all about... until I see a police car in the median. Aha, that makes sense. See a cop, everyone panics. The usual. Probably a speed trap, speed limit must have dropped to 55 here and I just didn't see the sign. Anyway - I'm the last one in the cluster of traffic to pass him, I'm still in the right hand lane, and still the same distance from traffic (now all going 55).

He pulls out, puts the lights on, and for a moment I wonder if he's going to chase down one of the cars that blew by us earlier... but then he pulls behind ME and pulls me over. He gives me a ticket for speeding - I'm thinking "What BS - I was the slowest car in the group, in the right lane - the safest car on the road - I'm babying my sleeping girlfriend's car - but probably technically I passed whatever sign I didn't see, and he legitimately caught me going more than 55 mph, since I had the cruise set somewhere between 65 and 70 before everyone braked."

It wasn't until later that I saw the ticket said (drum roll)...
..88 mph!!

And weeks later, I wasn't about to drive 400 miles back to that town to go to court, so I sent in the ticket, signed "guilty" along with a letter explaining what happened, and asking to take mercy on me since I felt I received the wrong ticket.

Long story short... turned into a 2 year long ordeal with lawyers that I had to engage in my town AND theirs, they claimed first they never received my letter, then that the information on "signing guilty to be done with it" and "explaining I wasn't guilty" were contradictory and nullified my submission... so by default I "missed" the court date, and then had my registration revoked and license revoked... which resulted in my car being impounded at one point (when I was doing someone a favor and providing a pick-up from the airport nonetheless), cost hundreds upon hundreds of dollars plus hundreds more to get the car out of impound, and finally they accepted a plain-old "guilty" with a huge fine PLUS 88mph worth of points on my license which costs me hundreds more per year ever since.

If I had a dash cam, I could have proven my innocence.
Without a dash cam, it's your word against the police (or - whomever will claim something against you) - and especially in that case, you don't stand a chance.

I'd advise having a dash cam - I'm torn on having it right on the windshield, I'd prefer a good high-resolution one that could have the cameras (front AND rear) located right at the center dome light location, to also include the speedometer in the shot...
...of course, 2 problems there:
1) that might work against you if you ARE a speeder, and
2) I haven't really seen one that was designed with two remote cameras like that - but you could possibly get one with equal cameras that has a remote rear camera, and instead point the main unit out the rear and mount the remote camera at that location.

You'll find them anywhere from $40 for a likely limited one to $200 for one with all the bells, whistles, and separate cameras.

Good luck!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Dashcams should be mandatory. I installed one on the third day of owning my Si, and have the wiring tucked, and wire is plugged into the OBDII. The charging wire dongle has a disable switch which prevents it from using the OBD's constant charge, so it will only stay on if I have enabled it while parked. On top of that, my camera can sense if the car battery is being drained, then it will automatically override the constant powered up feature to make sure the car battery doesn't drain.

Will post shots later today :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yah, seems like a must these days. I just ordered one yesterday and after I give it spin, I'll come back with some feedback.

Anker Roav Dash Cam ($90; retail $130)
Plus there's a promo code (dunno when it'll end) good for $23 off = "3RJ6NATH"
I used some of the savings toward a microSD, which it runs on.

I'd post the amazon link, but my post count is low.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yah, seems like a must these days. I just ordered one yesterday and after I give it spin, I'll come back with some feedback.

Anker Roav Dash Cam ($90; retail $130)
Plus there's a promo code (dunno when it'll end) good for $23 off = "3RJ6NATH"
I used some of the savings toward a microSD, which it runs on.

I'd post the amazon link, but my post count is low.
That's the exact one I've been debating. Thanks for the promo code! I'm buying it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think I've checked that one out...

I really can't argue with you on the price, all that I can say is that there's no rear camera - but for that price, you could buy two, and mount one in the rear! At that price, with the discount, two of those would be less than the dual-camera HD systems I've been looking at.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I've checked that one out...

I really can't argue with you on the price, all that I can say is that there's no rear camera - but for that price, you could buy two, and mount one in the rear! At that price, with the discount, two of those would be less than the dual-camera HD systems I've been looking at.
I just bought the one for now, but good call on getting one for the rear. I'm waiting until after I get my windows tinted, probably in a week or so, to actually install the camera so I have some time to get the second one

1 - 8 of 8 Posts