10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought... the Europeans are getting the 1.5T with VTEC (unlike ours in NA) which kicks power above the 200 hp mark... could the addition of VTEC to the 1.5T be what Honda puts under the hood of the Si?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I posted on the other forum that this is what I now think is going to happen. It explains the lack of manual for the non Si 1.5t.

BTW 260Nm trq = 191 ft/lb,

So the 1.5t with vtec (U.S. spec just has vvt) = 201hp / 191 trq

·
Registered
959 Posts
I posted on the other forum that this is what I now think is going to happen. It explains the lack of manual for the non Si 1.5t.

BTW 260Nm trq = 191 ft/lb,

So the 1.5t with vtec (U.S. spec just has vvt) = 201hp / 191 trq
I like the way you think!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I mentioned on the other forum that this is likely due to the Euro market. They place a MUCH higher priority on economy vs. performance. And it's the primary reason why they get the 1.0T and the US does not. At 201 HP, the 1.5T is nearly maxed out in its current configuration. But is likely more efficient (and less costly) than a comparable 2.0T with revised intake/exhaust/valvetrain.

I'm 99% sure Honda will offer a 220-260 HP 2.0T in the Si to compete more effectively with the GTI, Focus ST, upcoming Mazdaspeed3, and (indirectly) the WRX. While the Si will likely be down on power vs. a majority of its rivals, it will compensate by offering improved refinement and class leading fuel economy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm 99% sure Honda will offer a 220-260 HP 2.0T in the Si to compete more effectively with the GTI, Focus ST, upcoming Mazdaspeed3, and (indirectly) the WRX. While the Si will likely be down on power vs. a majority of its rivals, it will compensate by offering improved refinement and class leading fuel economy.
I really do hope you are right. It would be a huge let down if the Si gets the 1.5t. And even if it's down on power with a 2.0t that's an easy fix with some bolt ons and a tune ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I can't see the Si and Type R both shipping with 2.0T engines. Plus with the Euro Type R doing 0-60 in 5.7 seconds do you think the Si is going match it? I think the Si is going to be a 1.5T with a different tune and sporty addons (suspension, exhaust, etc). Honda is going to give us good reason to lean towards the Type R.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I've thought alot about the Si in terms of what engine it'll get and how honda plans to market it... given that the Type R will be the new sporty model... i could see honda integrating the Si into the main civic lineup as simply a sportier variant of the normal civic... (think accord sport).

If it gets the 1.5T....It'll have better suspension tuning, exhaust, and an obvious power bump to at least match the current Si in power (or 0-60 times whichever comes first) and will share the features of the EX-T trim (and possibly some share from the touring like LED headlights). Think... Touring as the ultimate luxury civic and the Si being the Sporty variant. Two sides of the same coin if you will. That also might warrant a CVT or DCT option along with the obvious manual. The 0-60 times won't be that much better than the rest of the civic lineup but it'll shine brighter in the corners and twisting roads.

If it gets a detuned 2.0T then it'll keep it's current placement for the lineup more or less. A more substantial power bump to around 230ish would widen the margin of 0-60 between it and the 1.5T civics but still have growing room for the Type R to be worth the extra cash. In this case, i wouldn't expect as many touring features to carry over, more a direct EX/EXT comparison of features with the added engine and sporty appointments where necessary. In this case i'd see it keeping the 6 speed manual only guise.

Either way they could keep the Si around the price of an EXL civic and while some will be disappointed by the 1.5T it'll still be an affordable sporty entry, and with the lighter weight and a 0-60 time of around 6.2 seconds not far off from the likes of the GTI (without the performance pack). Give it the handling to out maneuver the competition. The 2.0T would be the preferred engine with enthusiasts obviously and still holds plenty of merit as an option. BUT... if honda is looking to make the Si a bit more mainstream and accessible i think the 1.5T is the better option. We'll just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I can't see the Si and Type R both shipping with 2.0T engines. Plus with the Euro Type R doing 0-60 in 5.7 seconds do you think the Si is going match it? I think the Si is going to be a 1.5T with a different tune and sporty addons (suspension, exhaust, etc). Honda is going to give us good reason to lean towards the Type R.
I honestly struggle in seeing that happen. The more I think about it, and the more Honda remains secretive about its performance lineup, the more I think we're looking at a 240-260 HP Si. I mentioned in another post that this is HOA's 2nd take on a redesigned Civic. They took the subcompact market by storm in 2006. And I have no doubt they'll do the same with the 10th Gen.

Really trying to be patient and not create a false expectation of what the Si should/should not be. But I have hope...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts