10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Soon the 10th Gen Civic will be within our grasps! imagine if it came with a HUD?

We're about a month from the official debut at the next big autoshow. and after that probably another month before they hit lots officially. It is getting close.

Even though i'm gunning for a coupe i will be at my dealer scoping out and test driving a sedan just to get a feel for the new civic anyway. haha.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
If you fall in love with the sedan after giving it a test run what will you do?
haha, i won't. For esthetic purposes alone i'll wait for the coupe. I have another year and a half on my current lease anyway. I'll wait for the coupe. I live alone, am single and have no kids or pets. I have no need for a sedan. I prefer the sportier looks and nature of the coupe.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Yahoo Auto posted an article this morning about anticipated cars of 2016. The Civic was of course on that list. I don't know how super reliable Yahoo's sources are (i'd assume pretty reliable) because there were a few things that stuck out in what they had to say about the civic.

Just when we expected Honda to announce a freshening of the Civic, it’s introduced a full redesign. Even though it’s called a concept, this Civic is the real deal.

Honda says the aggressive, chiseled look more than just style, promising class-leading performance from both the base 2.0-liter four-cylinder and uplevel 1.5-liter turbo four-cylinder. Transmission choices will include a short-throw six-speed manual or a CVT automatic. A hybrid version won’t be offered.

This all-new platform has a three-inch longer wheelbase for more cabin room. Honda claims a spacious, more refined, and upgraded cabin with a high level of connectivity and near-luxury levels of quiet.

The rollout begins with the launch of the new sedan in the fall, followed by a coupe and a hatchback. A Type R will also be available, but not before 2016.

The points about Class leading performance from BOTH engines caught my eye obviously. And then the point of more refined upgraded cabin with near-luxury levels of quiet. Those are pretty bold promises, and i wonder if Yahoo is just reading between the lines or if they actually heard these from Honda reps/execs... It'll be interesting to see...

Here is a link to the full yahoo article if you're interested in reading it for yourself or seeing the other cars they mentioned. https://www.yahoo.com/autos/7-anticipated-cars-for-2016-c1437608130137.html

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Having an HUD would be great but I believe in this segment its not entirely needed and not something owners would care for, but as you move up the segments, stepping into Accord territory, it's more expected their IMO.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Yahoo Auto posted an article this morning about anticipated cars of 2016. The Civic was of course on that list. I don't know how super reliable Yahoo's sources are (i'd assume pretty reliable) because there were a few things that stuck out in what they had to say about the civic.

Just when we expected Honda to announce a freshening of the Civic, it’s introduced a full redesign. Even though it’s called a concept, this Civic is the real deal.

Honda says the aggressive, chiseled look more than just style, promising class-leading performance from both the base 2.0-liter four-cylinder and uplevel 1.5-liter turbo four-cylinder. Transmission choices will include a short-throw six-speed manual or a CVT automatic. A hybrid version won’t be offered.

This all-new platform has a three-inch longer wheelbase for more cabin room. Honda claims a spacious, more refined, and upgraded cabin with a high level of connectivity and near-luxury levels of quiet.

The rollout begins with the launch of the new sedan in the fall, followed by a coupe and a hatchback. A Type R will also be available, but not before 2016.

The points about Class leading performance from BOTH engines caught my eye obviously. And then the point of more refined upgraded cabin with near-luxury levels of quiet. Those are pretty bold promises, and i wonder if Yahoo is just reading between the lines or if they actually heard these from Honda reps/execs... It'll be interesting to see...

Here is a link to the full yahoo article if you're interested in reading it for yourself or seeing the other cars they mentioned. https://www.yahoo.com/autos/7-anticipated-cars-for-2016-c1437608130137.html
Yahoo owns Autoblog. Class leading performance can be ambiguous as well. It could be the best performing car in terms of fuel economy...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Yahoo owns Autoblog. Class leading performance can be ambiguous as well. It could be the best performing car in terms of fuel economy...
Well i'm holding out hope that honda really does want to get it's act together and best performing means more than just fuel economy. They keep emphasizing going back to the sporty character of the old civics. That would at least entail class leading handling if nothing else.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Well i'm holding out hope that honda really does want to get it's act together and best performing means more than just fuel economy. They keep emphasizing going back to the sporty character of the old civics. That would at least entail class leading handling if nothing else.
And they can make it easy on themselves with just hitting styling which is far easier than components, but of course how it drives and feels will have to be amped up to an extent... just no extreme's.

I think what Toyota did with the corolla was a good example.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
And they can make it easy on themselves with just hitting styling which is far easier than components, but of course how it drives and feels will have to be amped up to an extent... just no extreme's.

I think what Toyota did with the corolla was a good example.
I hate that example. The corolla does look better than it has in years... but it's still using a 15 year old engine and 4 speed auto (on lower trims). It's essentially the same exact car as it's always been in a better wrapping.

I don't think honda can get away with that. After flubbing the 2012 civics so badly, and the lack luster reviews of even the current civic after the style changes. Honda really needs a class leading winner again. Ford, Kia and Mazda all prove its possible to create a fuel efficient, good looking, fun to drive and quick economy car. If anyone should be able to combine those traits it's honda. And if they really want to live up to everything they've been saying so far, they will.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I hate that example. The corolla does look better than it has in years... but it's still using a 15 year old engine and 4 speed auto (on lower trims). It's essentially the same exact car as it's always been in a better wrapping.

I don't think honda can get away with that. After flubbing the 2012 civics so badly, and the lack luster reviews of even the current civic after the style changes. Honda really needs a class leading winner again. Ford, Kia and Mazda all prove its possible to create a fuel efficient, good looking, fun to drive and quick economy car. If anyone should be able to combine those traits it's honda. And if they really want to live up to everything they've been saying so far, they will.
Exactly. The weight these Civic's have had added on isn't help them, but what is helping is this era of turbocharged engines... adding power in the low end where its most rewarding to the majority of us, something that should complement its new design direction well.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Exactly. The weight these Civic's have had added on isn't help them, but what is helping is this era of turbocharged engines... adding power in the low end where its most rewarding to the majority of us, something that should complement its new design direction well.
And according to honda the new platform is much lighter than the previous one used on the civics, so there is some chance we might not see any more weight gain this gen, we might even see some weight loss (especially on the 1.5 turbo since its got the smaller engine).

·
Registered
959 Posts
And according to honda the new platform is much lighter than the previous one used on the civics, so there is some chance we might not see any more weight gain this gen, we might even see some weight loss (especially on the 1.5 turbo since its got the smaller engine).
the engine will likely be a wash because turbo plumbing adds most of the gains back... even so a 2.0 will be lighter then a 1.5 if they share identical dimensions. The larger engine has less block and head material. Weight savings under the hood only come from dropping cylinders not displacement (for the most part)

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
the engine will likely be a wash because turbo plumbing adds most of the gains back... even so a 2.0 will be lighter then a 1.5 if they share identical dimensions. The larger engine has less block and head material. Weight savings under the hood only come from dropping cylinders not displacement (for the most part)
I suppose thats a good point. Though both of these engines will be new Earth Dreams engines... i wonder if honda constructed them any different from the normal VTEC engines to save weight?

·
Registered
876 Posts
What ever weight savings technology they implemented is what i'll be on the look out for since it seems we're stepping into an era where its needed more than ever and with that methods of going about this are becoming cheaper.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
What ever weight savings technology they implemented is what i'll be on the look out for since it seems we're stepping into an era where its needed more than ever and with that methods of going about this are becoming cheaper.
Absolutely. With both safety and EPA guideline both getting stricter all the time it really is tough to keep a cars weight down with all the safety features, but keeping them EPA friendly at the same time. The tech to do it all is getting cheaper and knowing honda has always had a good mind for making lightweight cars that are also safe i'm sure they'll be fine. I'm sure the new platform they developed for the civic, accord and eventually the CRV will be one of the most rigid, strong and lightweight platforms on the market.

·
Registered
876 Posts
A quick search pulled up the following recent development over at Honda:

Honda has announced it is developing a new technology that allows steel and aluminium to be joined in a process that will see vehicle weight reduced.

First used to join a new aluminium outer door panel – conventionally made of steel – to a steel inner door panel, the claimed world-first application allows the two dissimilar metals with different expansion rates to be layered and hemmed together twice to form a ‘3D Lock Seam’ (3DLS) structure.

Honda has announced it is developing a new technology that allows steel and aluminium to be joined in a process that will see vehicle weight reduced.

First used to join a new aluminium outer door panel – conventionally made of steel – to a steel inner door panel, the claimed world-first application allows the two dissimilar metals with different expansion rates to be layered and hemmed together twice to form a ‘3D Lock Seam’ (3DLS) structure.

Honda says improvements in vehicle fuel economy, performance and handling dynamics will all benefit too as door panel weight will be reduced by approximately 17 per cent compared with conventional all-steel door panels.

The technology is to be initially used on North American versions of the all-new Acura RLX (pictured top) – badged as a Honda Legend in Australia – before Honda expands its application into other model lines.

Click on the Photos tab for more images.
http://www.caradvice.com.au/216913/honda-developing-new-weight-saving-joining-technology/

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Possibly something we might see on the new accord in 2 years and possibly the 10th gen civic after its mid model refresh after 3 years. Very interesting. Good find!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts