10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With about 1,500 miles, my EX-T started missing, and the MIL lit up. Turned out to be a misfires on 1,2, and 4. My Honda dealer replaced the plugs, but would not warranty them, saying that MMT had been added to the fuel. Strictly Shell premium! Cost me just over $200, with the plugs (H code heat range) costing just over $35 each. After just 800 miles, the missing returned. I personally installed the J code heat range plugs (same as in the Si and in Honda boxes yet!) which I bought on line for $24 each, delivered! The H code plugs removed show same color (sort of a reddish pink) indicating that a fuel additive was used. Again, just Shell premium!

At this writing, the J code plugs have over 1,100 miles on them with no further trouble. The in-town and highway mileage increased about 1 mpg with cooler heat range plugs.

The real issue here is, I DRIVE this vehicle like it should be driven—hard! The standard H code plugs just won't last. From all I can garner on line, and from my dealer, this is a known issue at Honda HQ. Since there currently isn't a factory rep, the dealer will not reimburse me for the first replacement. But I am going to pursue this issue with the new rep, whomever that is!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Getting Honda to respond to customer issues, isn't always an easy task for dealer or customer. After much soul-searching and talks with my dealer, I filed a complaint with Honda USA. I have had call backs, but the problem is yet to be resolved.

A secondary issue is the lack of a new Honda rep for the area. The interim tech lives in New York, and told the local dealer that it was too hot out there (Roswell, NM), so he wouldn't fly out! That issue hasn't been resolved either. I guess when you''re the proverbial 500 pound gorilla...

·
Super Moderator
424 Posts
I don't want this to turn into the regular vs premium debate! but my 99cx hatch saw gains from running premium, in both HP and mileage. During a motor vehicle inspection my mechanic took a look at the plugs for me and new right away that I was running premium, he stated that I would destroy the plugs if I kept running premium. I tried going back to regular but the car felt anemic so I went back to premium, about a year later the car started to idle a little rough and when I pulled the plugs they were burnt up. I swapped them out with some iridium crossfires or something and never had a problem again. Today's engines are mapped to a certain octane and unless they are unable to stay within predetermined parameters for some odd reason they will not gain from running a higher than recommended octane. Will a higher than recommended octane destroy plugs ??? it did in my 99...
PS I still run premium but have not looked at my plugs yet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What you say is true. However, a lot of spark plug life is reliant on HOW you drive. If you're like me, your foot is in it most of the time. After all, that is what turbo cars are all about—not boost, no go!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts