10th Honda Civic Forum banner

Static electricity?

7K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  PaulFelder 
#1 ·
Hey guys, just bought my car yesterday and I love it so far but it is shocking the living **** out of me every time I get out and touch the metal on the door to close it. Not sure if it's the fabric on the seats, me, the weather, or what but I'm going to have to work it out soon one way or another if it doesn't subside on its own.

Anyone else had an issue with this in the Civic? I have an LX, so cloth interior. I did a little Googling but didn't come up with anything directly Civic-related.

#3 ·
I have this issue too and it is HORRIBLE. It seriously feels like being electrocuted and it consistently happens every time.

I’ve even adapted to touching the door frame with my forearm because it doesn’t hurt as much.

I know it’s not a loose ground though (it’s the seats) cause I’ve intentionally avoided touching the car when getting out before only to be shocked by something else metal that wasn’t the car.

#4 ·
Ive had exactly the same, ive found out it happens when I wear my worn jeans and shuffle a but in the seat (as I often do on a long drive) and I touched the door frame and nearly saw the light.

The worst one was driving from Glasgow, Scotland to Milan, Italy and every time I stopped to fill up I would get blasted.

Ive come to wear comfy cotton like shorts now when I drive and I dont get shocked anymore

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.