10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
9/5/16: Vehicle purchased new.

9/6/16: Vehicle veered left with the steering wheel centered.

9/21/16: 4-Wheel Alignment performed at the Honda Service Center with the Front and Rear Toes found to not be within manufacturer specifications. Vehicle now veered right with the steering wheel centered.

9/26/16: 4-Wheel Alignment performed for the second time at the Honda Service Center with the Rear Toe found again to not be within manufacturer specifications. Front Driver and Passenger tires cross-switched. Test drove with the Service Manager and the vehicle still veered right with the steering wheel centered. The Service Manager explained road crowning and what a true tire pull would look like. He also stated that it is difficult to perfectly center a steering wheel due to the design and that it will be off-center by a "tick".

As of October 2nd, the vehicle still veers right with the steering wheel centered. I have tested this issue for almost a month now even on a flat surface, and the behavior is consistent and quite frustrating.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Not really sure if they can perfectly align the steering wheel or if it's just the roads you're driving on. Maybe test it out on a flat piece of road somewhere? Maybe parking lot?

I used to have an old car that I had an incident with. They had to realign the steering wheel but it was never perfectly straight no matter what they did. This could be a similar case if it wasn't perfectly straight out of factory.

·
Registered
382 Posts
my sonata, first car i had with EPS, and it veered all the time. i swore it was out of alignment. dealer checked it, over and over...even took me to the rack in their service bay to show me the numbers on the machine. it was within specs. that car didn't like any crown in the roads whatsoever.

when i would take it out on the long road trips, it drove fine...and at 62K miles when i traded it, i still had the original tires on it.

ask the dealer to show you the numbers while still hooked up to the machine, on the rack. that way, you can see for yourself that it's within specs (if it truly is) and realize, its more than likely the roads you are driving on. EPS can be very sensitive - much more precise than the old belt driven power steering with a lot of mush and slush.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
4Tires: I have tested the position of my steering wheel on various city roads and highways. It seems more noticeable on highways traveling after faster speeds, and maybe this is related to the road crowning. There are a few roads around my house that were just resurfaced, and the vehicle starts to veer right within the first 5-7 seconds.

fear24: This is the first vehicle that I have driven that has EPS, and I'm not sure if I'm just sensitive to a new steering system. The first two vehicles I drove were a 1998 Chrysler Cirrus and 2001 Toyota Highlander. Two 4-Wheel Alignments were performed as mentioned above, and it seems odd to me that the Rear Toe was found to be out of alignment twice. Actually, the during the second 4-Wheel Alignment, the Service Manager had me sit inside my vehicle while the Service Technician performed an alignment. When it came to aligning the steering wheel, he showed me the computer system and it showed that it was aligned, but off by 0.1 due to acceptable tolerance.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Acceptable tolerance shouldn't be an issue of any sort. Maybe take it to an external alignment shop and have them check the components and all of that good stuff ?

·
Registered
266 Posts
I recently had to try 2 different shops for an alignment. The second shop showed me the before and after, I was shocked how far off the toe was on both sides from the first place. And they kept telling me my steering wheel was straight, and it totally was to the left like 20 degrees.

I would try a different dealer if you can.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I recently had to try 2 different shops for an alignment. The second shop showed me the before and after, I was shocked how far off the toe was on both sides from the first place. And they kept telling me my steering wheel was straight, and it totally was to the left like 20 degrees.

I would try a different dealer if you can.
Yup.
Unfortunately that sort of experience is very normal for a dealer to do but when it comes to diagnosing a vehicle... it's like gold to them, easy units for the tech's to rack up.

From experience I discovered you have to KNOW who's working on your car at a dealer otherwise its a gamble.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts