10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Just over a month ago the autoverse was alight with chatter, the newest civic was spotted out and about for the first time. My goodness. Autoguide was first on the scene reporting that the car in question was in fact a 2016 Honda Civic proto out stretching its legs, as per standard operating procedures in the realm of automotive journalism the story was subsequently copied near verbatum to everyone and their mums blog. Case closed right, the experts have said so.

Perhaps thats not quite so...

First off the prototype looks huge, much longer especially than the current Civic. Yes the 2016 Civic is supposed to migrate to a shared modular platform with Accord but as VW has demonstrated they can share platforms between Full size saloons and smaller coupes, I don't think the platform migration necessitates a size increase. What we could be looking at instead is an Accord prototype, the larger wheel gap could be an indication that Honda is testing suspension for a bigger car.

Second, dual exhaust. No Civic ever has had dual exhaust, granted precedent doesn't mean much to the auto industry but twin pipes is relatively superfluous for a small 4 pot (that is unless we're seeing a Turbo Civic something which would explain the hood bulge, but I digress), what Honda sedan does sport twin tips? Accord V6.

Third, styling a shape is a severe departure from conventional Civic styling. Currently they can't build them fast enough, are they really inclined to make such a drastic departure and risk alienating core buyers?

Then again, a completely different train of thought is that this is actually a mule for Honda's ACX Hydrogen
Vehicle as the profile matches renders published in early June. Again the connection is tenuous and certainly does not explain the inclusion of dual exhaust.

Whatever we're looking at I'm not so prepared to believe any more that what we saw a month ago was in fact an early 10th gen prototype. Thoughts?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I don't think the platform migration necessitates a size increase
Maybe not, but each subsequent generation of Civic has grown in size over the previous generation. For example, compare a 9th gen Civic with a 5th or 6th gen Civic. Way bigger.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe not, but each subsequent generation of Civic has grown in size over the previous generation. For example, compare a 9th gen Civic with a 5th or 6th gen Civic. Way bigger.
Indeed, but if you compare any 25 year old car to a 2014 model there will be growth.

1990 F150 vs 2015 F150 is a perfect example. Modern 1/2 Ton trucks are the size of 20 year old HD's.

the proliferation of safety equipment and acres of wire is the culprit. However, the differences from 7 to 8 to 9 are marginal...

·
Registered
991 Posts
It does look very long for a Civic. Combined with the gap between the wheel and the body it makes me think that there is something fishy going on. Only time will tell though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'd believe it to be the next gen civic, the NA division is said to be going all out on this new civic so anything is possibly.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I think that the bigger changes for the Civic will be to look at it from the front which we don't have a shot of here. The rest of the vehicle looks fairly standard, still modern, but kind of expected.

·
Registered
876 Posts
The OP has a point, this could very well be the next accord and not the Civic, it does after all seem to be a bit too big to be a Civic. I see the next civic not being much bigger than the outgoing one.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I like how they have a "beak" on that concept, which is along the lines of what Acura originally used. Is this something you guys will want to see being used on the Civic along with other Honda models or should a feature like that stay exclusive to Acura?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I like how they have a "beak" on that concept, which is along the lines of what Acura originally used. Is this something you guys will want to see being used on the Civic along with other Honda models or should a feature like that stay exclusive to Acura?
I dont mind it but then again its not so much a 'beak' like Acuras was. The ACX actually apes the current euro civics 'T' grill quite well, and it seems to be something showing up in their protos as well...

·
Registered
876 Posts
I think they should do what Toyota did and used cues from Lexus instead of completely going for that look, which works great for both brands. Doesn't take away from Lexus and gives Toyota a not as boring and dull look like all it's models used to be and still are to some extent.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Never realized the light up blue streak on the side on the concept. It certainly makes the car look a lot better than I thought it did before I noticed that.

·
Registered
876 Posts
If that light actually makes it's way to production that would be awesome, but don't see it happening at all, i'd be surprised if it does.

·
Registered
991 Posts
If that light actually makes it's way to production that would be awesome, but don't see it happening at all, i'd be surprised if it does.
I think it would be a pretty superfluous feature to have on a production vehicle. It has no function and would only make it more expensive.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
if they go for a production vehicle originally built as an EV...

chances of that light on the side will be even more possible.

·
Registered
991 Posts
if they go for a production vehicle originally built as an EV...

chances of that light on the side will be even more possible.
How do you figure? I just don't see this light feature making production on any production vehicle ever. It just doesn't make sense from a business stand point.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I think it would be a pretty superfluous feature to have on a production vehicle. It has no function and would only make it more expensive.
It would
They don't need to complicate things further with throwing in that light their.
But I wouldn't mind them just keeping that belt line, i'll be happy with that alone.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts