10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, the display on my 3-week-old EX-L went bad. I know the Touring displays have been having problems, but I haven't heard of any problems on the "lesser" EX models.

When I started the car, the display stayed blank (totally black) for a minute and then would flash on/off. When I backed up, the camera view would flash on/off and would freeze periodically. The right turn signal view would also stutter.

It's like something is using a very high percentage of the CPU cycles and all display operations are slowed down.

:(

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't remember how (may have to go into diagnostics mode - audio+home+menu buttons) but you can go through the unit and turn off applications that you don't use, like android auto/carplay.

I think its possible that the head unit doesn't have the capability to run the audio and nav and possibly sensing (although I think that's separate) on top of everything else.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't remember how (may have to go into diagnostics mode - audio+home+menu buttons) but you can go through the unit and turn off applications that you don't use, like android auto/carplay.

I think its possible that the head unit doesn't have the capability to run the audio and nav and possibly sensing (although I think that's separate) on top of everything else.
But I don't have nav and sensing on my EX-L.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I know the Touring displays have been having problems
The amplifier in the Touring had an issue with no audio on power-up. There is a TSB, 16-1, for cars produced before 12/18 (2* VIN) or 12/16 (1* VIN), for a firmware update to the amplifier. That amplifier is only used in the Touring.

Other infotainment issues, display or otherwise, seem to be equal opportunity bugs across all Display Audio trim levels.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Yea I've heard of issues with the infotainment system in all models sadly. Sounds like one of those things that will be fixed in the second model year. That's why it is nice to wait to buy and let others deal with these early issues.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I started the car a couple of times today and the display seemed normal. Go figure.

I tried your diagnostic modes tip and there were no apps running. At least today -- I don't know about yesterday.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Same problem here! Although, I live in Toronto, CAN so I was thinking the cold weather might've had something to do with it. But cold weather or not, it does seem peculiar for the screen to have problems given it's a brand new car. After driving a bit though, it usually seems to even out. Definitely bothersome initially.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
May be a good idea to record this in action. Something to show the dealership if you decide to bring it in and they can't reproduce the infotainment problem.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Same problem here! Although, I live in Toronto, CAN so I was thinking the cold weather might've had something to do with it. But cold weather or not, it does seem peculiar for the screen to have problems given it's a brand new car. After driving a bit though, it usually seems to even out. Definitely bothersome initially.
That point is even more valid since car makers do extreme cold and hot weather testing so issues like this shouldn't come up, it's something they should have weeded out with that testing.

·
Registered
991 Posts
It's definitely possible, my phone battery goes from 50% to dead because its cold outside. Would be a pretty massive mistake for the company though, and its not even that cold this year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts