10th Honda Civic Forum banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Best thing we can do is keep bringing the civics to the dealership and keep complaining to Honda so they fix this problem and have everything documented.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Still holding :)
My guess is the type of adhesive used at the factory isn't designed for high temps.
The dealership here in Manchester NH used MR Glass.
They did a nice job. The cover sits even. Only time will tell i guess.
The service manager is aware that the 8 coupes sitting in the lot ALL have the same issue with the covers hanging.

Is it still holding Jimmy? Unfortunately I have lost count of how many times mine has been glued/replaced. My dealer is strongly encouraging I filed lemon law paperwork but I am holding out hoping Honda will get it together soon. I think a major part of my problem is that it has been SO hot and humid here in Southwest Florida. The last round of glue held the longest at roughly 2 weeks. Sigh.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Keep us posted on how that lemon law goes because hearing about what you have to go through can go a long way in helping others here getting the same out come at the end of this all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sadly I am having the same issue, I have not taken it in to Honda yet cause I am hoping someone will report back a good, reliable solution. It is a major bummer but glad I am not alone.

·
Registered
24 Posts
holy crap it's happening to mine too. I was JUST at Honda few days ago for a recall, too bad i didn't notice it earlier maybe I could of got them to do something about it.... Guess i'll have to make another trip down :(

I only noticed it when I looked into my rear view mirror that the cover wasn't centered. upon closer inspection, yep, it's coming off :(

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Is it still holding Jimmy? Unfortunately I have lost count of how many times mine has been glued/replaced. My dealer is strongly encouraging I filed lemon law paperwork but I am holding out hoping Honda will get it together soon. I think a major part of my problem is that it has been SO hot and humid here in Southwest Florida. The last round of glue held the longest at roughly 2 weeks. Sigh.
Still Holding :)
We have had many days with 90+ temps.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Seems like MR Glass is the best solution so far. I don't suppose you can get the name of the adhesive they used? Seems like nothing else is really working.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Fix to Third Brake light

Honda has been working on a mechanism to keep it permanently attached since 7/18/2016. Well atleast thats what my 'trusted' mechanic said at the honda dealership. Hopefully this will be fixed soon because i hate driving at night and pressing on the brake and almost getting a heart attack because i keep thinking its a cop, its also annoying for the people in the back, as well as making the visibility through the rear view mirror close to impossible.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Cool, I really hope they get it fix soon, I just had an appointment with Honda, dropped off the car, they glued it back on, 15 minute drive home, I look at it, it's coming off already lol. So I think i'll wait a bit before taking it back again, maybe they'll have that permanently solution by then.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My coupe was in for service yesterday about this so I figured I would update. Apparently when honda switched the coupes over to the long brakelights they were required by the DOT to put a third light so many inches above. The slope of the window made it so that this light had to be placed at the top. Honda threw the cover on because the glare from the lights obviously affects the window because it is high up. My dealership told me this was a design flaw and that the 17s will not have this problem.

They too put a heavy dose of epoxy on it and I am pretty sure the glue now will outlast the vehicle!
For the fix you described, how will anyone get in there to replace the brake light bulb down the line when this becomes necessary? I would think the real fix should be something that calls for a new part being introduced that firmly keeps the cover in place without glue, tape, or any other kind of jerry rig...

·
Registered
922 Posts
For the fix you described, how will anyone get in there to replace the brake light bulb down the line when this becomes necessary? I would think the real fix should be something that calls for a new part being introduced that firmly keeps the cover in place without glue, tape, or any other kind of jerry rig...
Now that is the big question at hand. This backyard fix doesn't seem like the greatest idea at all

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I was thinking the same thing. If light itself fails then what?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
1 month later....

Still holding.
Appears to be solid after 1 month. So the adhesive MR Glass used seems to be working.
And today i had a customer come into my work for a oil change with a 2016 LX with 5k on it. I noticed her third brake light cover was falling off so i told her the story going on with mine. She will calling her local dealer on Monday.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Would acetone be able to remove the glue? It can remove superglue so I assume it may work with other stuff too in case you need to change the bulb.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Still NO solution Here

Hi Jimmy,

I am glad yours is holding! I asked my dealership to do the same yours did and it held for about a week. This Florida heat has been killer on any attempts to solve this. I finally filed an official complaint with honda and they assured me they are going to issue a service bulletin to all southern states in the next month with a completely new cover and redesign...we shall see! In the meantime Honda has become my home every thursday afternoon.

Still holding.
Appears to be solid after 1 month. So the adhesive MR Glass used seems to be working.
And today i had a customer come into my work for a oil change with a 2016 LX with 5k on it. I noticed her third brake light cover was falling off so i told her the story going on with mine. She will calling her local dealer on Monday.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Still holding

Hi Jimmy,

I am glad yours is holding! I asked my dealership to do the same yours did and it held for about a week. This Florida heat has been killer on any attempts to solve this. I finally filed an official complaint with honda and they assured me they are going to issue a service bulletin to all southern states in the next month with a completely new cover and redesign...we shall see! In the meantime Honda has become my home every thursday afternoon.
We have few more days in the 90's with extreme humidity here in NH with the outside heat index of close to 105. Plus inside the car i'm sure is even hotter.
Still holding strong.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Just be happy we don't have leather as that can really make an interior feel hot, even burn your skin, seen it happen before.

·
Registered
2 Posts
One way to solve this

All of you who are having problems with this third brake light need to go to the NHTSA and register a complaint. As good as it is to know your "not alone" it's even better to make Honda re-engineer this thing correctly and not have it be a safety issue - which it is.

You need to register your complaints with the government: http://www.safercar.gov/ only after they get an influx are they really going to take it seriously. There are already four registered complaints - you need to put yours there as well.

41 - 60 of 88 Posts