10th Honda Civic Forum banner

61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
eevangelisto said that Honda told them they're going to issue a service bulletin to all southern states in the next month. I assume this would spread to the northern states and then everywhere else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Register it as a complaint with NHTSA

I registered the following as a complaint at:
safercar.gov

The cover on the third brake light at the top center of the rear window on the coupe version of this car does not stay adhered to the window. This causes a safety issue in visibility in the rear view mirror. Besides reducing visual sight area, at night the red light upon brake application is both distracting and obliterates any other viewing out of the rear window. Dealer attempt to fix was unsuccessful. Part needs to be redesigned for a better installation method than double sided tape on the edge of the part. Many other coupe owners have complained online about this same issue.

I further sent the printout of this complaint to Honda America via fax. I saved the complaint as a PDF and used faxzero.com to send it to:
Customer Relations-Safety
(310) 783-3023

If we all complain, maybe they will actually do something! After all, they have been aware of this for more than a year at this point!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, after TWO trips back to the Dealer and a new cover, the second fix attempt failed in less than 4 hours, and its not that hot in New England! it is now hanging down lower than the first failed attempt.

Honda America did contact me, twice, but ended up closing the ticket today because there is nothing "they" can do until engineering redesigns the part. I stated that I was not satisfied with that answer, but it got me no where!

There is a bulletin on this, at least that is the story that the dealer gave, and promised a follow up in a month.

Such a poor design for a part on what is otherwise a pretty good car!

HONDA ARE YOU LISTENING???

Frustrated.

·
Registered
922 Posts
This is quite crazy. For such a simple part, they still can't come up with a fix even with all of their darn engineers ?!

·
Registered
382 Posts
i knew there was a post about this. i already posted about the dealer telling me it was 'missed during prep' for sale. basically said bullsh** and walked away. i should print this and bring it back to them tomorrow as i'll be in their neighborhood again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dealer authorized fix has arrived

The dealer fixed the 3rd brake light cover on my Civic this afternoon. Honda fabricated a new bracket for the fix, and they claim it will not come off again.

·
Registered
382 Posts
uh, you CAN use the cruise control....BUT, it means YOU have to pay attention to the car(s) in front of you and BRAKE if you are getting too close.

some posts make me nervous....

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
The dealer fixed the 3rd brake light cover on my Civic this afternoon. Honda fabricated a new bracket for the fix, and they claim it will not come off again.
Wow, honda finally came out with a fix for the third light. Only time will tell if this one will fall off or not. Maybe they used a new type of glue.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I read in another forum that this is an issue with the coupe. Here is the post:

My 3rd brake lamp cover on my Touring Coupe came loose on the left hand side after the first 1000 miles *and* a trip to Death Valley. I could have claimed warranty but I generally don't like anyone else working on my cars. I too thought that the Scotch mounting tape from Autozone would do the trick. It did until the window got hot from the sun and I was going over a rough road. The issue seems to be heat. After checking out the specs. of the various Scotch tapes online I ended up buying Scotch #4008 for it's high temp. spec. This part might be overkill but I used the tape in combination with Scotch 3X extreme Velcro fastener from Home Depot. This will add a slight thickness over the original material holding up the cover so the cover is slightly lower but it still seals. After 3000 miles the cover is still holding strong. I suspect that there will be more coupe owners reporting the same problem.
I also just noticed this problem on my 2016 Coupe which only has 300 miles on it as of today, I purchased the car in the middle of May. Hopefully they can come up with a better cure then using glue, glue doesn't seem to be working too well!

·
Registered
2 Posts
safercar.gov

You must go to this website and register your complaint with the NHTSA - they can't fix this problem without a redesign of the whole part - and they won't until they have a recall. This is a safety issue that needs to be addressed by American Honda so we can see out the rear of our vehicles.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I fixed it myself, just using permatex ultragrey sealant. So far so good.

I didn't want to wait and I hated looking out a red rear window when backing up in evening hours, it is a safety hazard in that regard. It is much better when the cover is in the right position.

·
Registered
8 Posts
An official recall on the third break light was issued on 11/30/16, talked to my dealer today. There is a whole new install kit with a bracket. They are ordering everything for me on Monday!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am also waiting for my Honda dealer to call me when the parts come in to reinstall 3rd Brake light cover. He told me it would of been in yesterday,(Wed) but I haven't received a call yet. Hopefully this will be the last recall or problem with car. I bought the car in May and I have been to dealers service 5 times already. And I only have 435 miles on the car.. Good luck to everyone else that purchased a 2016 Honda Civic!

61 - 80 of 88 Posts