10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've got a 67 plate civic which has only done about 23000 miles. Just dropped it off for a service and MOT and was warned that next year I would have a bill for £1600 on top of the service to replace the timing belt. Looking online I see some places that say the belt should last the lifetime of the engine. Am I being had? If it really does need doing, am I better to trust a main dealer or find somewhere less than £1600?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Si

· Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

I've got a 67 plate civic which has only done about 23000 miles. Just dropped it off for a service and MOT and was warned that next year I would have a bill for £1600 on top of the service to replace the timing belt. Looking online I see some places that say the belt should last the lifetime of the engine. Am I being had? If it really does need doing, am I better to trust a main dealer or find somewhere less than £1600?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Si
If your car has a rubber/synthetic belt it will most likely have a shorter life, then a metal chain belt. Timing belt replacement is expensive on any car. If it breaks unless it's a noninterference engine you can kiss your engine goodbye. The job is way cheaper than a new engine

1 - 2 of 2 Posts