10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm wondering what cleaning products that you all use on your cars. I use Meguairs for everything but my tires and wheels. I'm kind of OCD when it comes to keeping my car clean, in particular my tires. On my older cars I would use the foaming tire stuff from Armor All. Then I realized that after a few days the tire would turn brown from the dirt from the road. Then I found that Turtle Wax made a cleaner/wax kit that was awesome. The cleaner got all the crap off the tire and then they had a wax that you applied with a sponge. It wasn't a shiny wax but it was a nice, deep, black. Unfortunately Turtle Wax no longer makes this stuff. I have plenty of the wax left to last me a year. When the dealership prepped The Green Hornet they used Armor All on the tires and, sure enough, the tires went brown in days. I bought Simonize tire cleaner from Canadian Tire but it didn't do jack. It's driving me nuts...

Any good tire cleaners out there?

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I've struggled for years to keep wheels and tires clean and I've tried pretty much every product out there. My current recipe is this:

Eagle 1 A2Z Tire & Wheel Cleaner. Wet tire, spray with product (it's foamy!), scrub the tire face with a stiff brush. I have a long slender cone shaped brush to get through the wheels and remove all the carp you see behind the faces, and I use a microfiber cloth to wash the brake dust off the wheel faces themselves. This product does very well in getting off all the grime and brake dust but you need to work fast with it as it tends to dry quickly and can lead to spotting, especially on dark coloured wheels.

I follow this up after the wash with Stoner's More Shine Less Time for Tires. It's an aerosol product that's very easy to apply; just spray it on and leave it. After about 10 minutes you may wipe off any excess product. . . It leaves a great semi-glossy shine to the tire that is absolutely dry and non-greasy and doesn't attract dirt or brake dust. Finish lasts about two weeks if there's no rain or puddles to drive through.

I buy both of these products from Amazon, but I've seen them sold at a variety of local parts stores also. Priced at about $6-$8 each, they're well worth the cost.

Good luck in your wheel cleaning endeavours: the key (in my opinion) to great presentation is solid details. It always amazes me in ads and at shows that a car is waxed and polished to a high shine, but the wheels and tires are dingy and brown.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Use LA Awesome from the Dollar Tree ... spray on liberaly , let sit.. mist with water and scrub with a brush. Let dry and apply your favorite tire shine.

The spray foams etc dont clean and just add to the crud.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts