10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
In the turns it should but in a straight line there might be a chance, that's just if Honda doesn't also decide to prioritize straight line performance as much as they do with driving through twisty roads and tracks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I loved this comment from Chris on that page:

"Yep.. Golf is faster but at some point you might go home without the gearbox.. vw owners know what I mean.."

·
Registered
228 Posts
DSG transmissions are awesome, had an 08 R32 and never had an issue, no human will ever be able to shift that fast. VW is 295hp vs 306hp for the R but AWD and 3 different track modes including launch control, in the corners it will be different but straight line it's tough to beat the VW.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I assume the new Type R that's coming out will smoke the VW R.
I don't know why you'd think that. Off the line the 9th gen Type R is considerably slower than the Golf R. It's just hard to put that much power down in a FWD car. If you google a list of FWD 0-60 times you'll see the current Type R is already close to the top of the list.

Now if the new Type R gets E-AWD and a DSG transmission, then it may approach the 4.6 second 0-60 time of the Golf R. I wouldn't count on either of those. I'm not sure I want an AWD car and I'm positive I don't want a DSG.

On the bright side... the Golf R isn't so fast when it's in the shop :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts