10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My owners manual says the coup is not intended to tow a trailer. I am wondering since I see trailer hitches for the sedan but not the coup. I am wondering why? is the sedan even rated to tow a trailer? I wanna tow my dirt bike to the riding park and I have a small pop up that I pulled with my spyder motor cycle if you can call the spyder a motor cycle lol any way I want to find out if I can pull the small light pop up with it camper ways like 950lbs? first one I had weighed 450lbs and I could live with one that small again.
any way anyone have info on towing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My owners manual says the coup is not intended to tow a trailer. I am wondering since I see trailer hitches for the sedan but not the coup. I am wondering why? is the sedan even rated to tow a trailer? I wanna tow my dirt bike to the riding park and I have a small pop up that I pulled with my spyder motor cycle if you can call the spyder a motor cycle lol any way I want to find out if I can pull the small light pop up with it camper ways like 950lbs? first one I had weighed 450lbs and I could live with one that small again.
any way anyone have info on towing.
I have an Integra GR and they say the reason I can't tow anything is the engine. If the manual says no, then I wouldn't. Maybe the difference between the sedan and the coupe is weight distribution? More likely, it's the engine though. A lot of turbos are not built for the stress of towing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the engine is would not be the problem it is N/A as it is the 2.0L, car is a 6speed. The manual talks about GVWR and GCWR and not putting too much tongue weight on the car then in bold print says this vehicle is not designed to tow a trailer. the owners manual is coup only. so there must be something to the way it is built.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I'd imagine towing something would put too much stress on where the trailer is hitched. Maybe it's sturdier in the sedan than the coupe.

·
Registered
876 Posts
The most you could probably do is install a hitch for the purpose of having a hitch mounted bike rack or a hitch mounted cargo box.

I can't imagine 2-3 mountain bikes being a problem. That's like what... 150 LBS total with rack and hitch bar?

·
Registered
876 Posts
The only trailers anyone should use are those used for PWC's and those small tailers typically rented from U-Haul.

With a trailer like that you'll be road trip ready.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My son bought a 16 EX 4 door sedan (and now my wife) and as I went through the owners manual I also spotted the section about tire and gross weight, etc as well as the statement the vehicle is not rated to tow!! I don't see any distinction between sedan or coupe.
Wish we had know this as my son wants to tow a canoe on a light (Harbor Freight) trailer.

I remember my Pilot had a higher tow capacity for towing a boat that a trailer.
What are everybody's thoughts on towing a canoe?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
How much does the canoe and trailer weigh? I personally wouldn't tow something if the manual states that you shouldn't but maybe the Civic can handle a bit more than a bike rack and a bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am not really sure about the reason you cannot do it. However in my opinion it is becasue of the engine, and also the weight distribution. I am sure about the weight distribution, just because a lot of people are telling the same thing. However, i own a civic coupe, and well it was not a big trailer, it was really small one, i had no problems in doing that. A friend of mine is working for a towing company in Dublin, it is 🔔 Towing Dublin | Tow Truck Dublin | Breakdown Assistance Services. He told me not to try that again, as i might lose the car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts