10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody having issues with the TPMS light coming on for no reason? I've tried following the calibration procedure, but a couple days later it comes on again. I verified pressures manually.

·
Registered
922 Posts
What are the pressures at ? Maybe take it back to the dealership so they can reset them using the machine instead ?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, when I first got the car, they were at 52 PSI. I guess the PDI person missed that. I set them back down to 35 and recalibrated, but the light came on again - and again recalibrated. And again a couple days later the light came on again.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Maybe one of your sensors went bad? Really best to bring it to your dealership and have them work on it under warranty.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Hm.. if that's the case then it may definitely be a bad sensor like 4Tires said. I know different manufacturers have different sensitivities as well, Chrysler TPMS used to come on if the tires were just under 38psi which was incredibly annoying.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 10th gen Civic uses indirect (i.e., sensorless) TPMS. It's entirely algorithmic based on wheel rotation data from the VSA. So you have to look somewhere else for a problem.
Good info. I wonder if hitting larger bumps could trigger a false error. Come to think of it, I did hit a bump before it happened the first time.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
It's been quiet for a couple days now. Maybe it's settled down.
Glad to hear that, keep us posted on how it goes. But at least with this thread up it will get the attention of those that might have been going through a similar thing.

Do you at least have a good dealer to go to? Not all dealers are created equal.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you at least have a good dealer to go to? Not all dealers are created equal.
I've heard some dealership horror stories so I know that's definitely true. I've not really had any issues with the dealer service department to date, so I think they should be OK moving forward.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I don't know why Honda went with this setup. I can speculate that the public does not want TPMS sensors in the tires due to the added cost when changing rims, and their is probably a cost savings due to the fact their is no hardware in this setup just software piggybacking on the traction control system, but the US auto industry is mandated by government to have some form of TMPS. At first I thought this was a neat new innovation for the reasons above, but as I read up on it I quickly found out that this is really old technology, in fact this was the very first TPMS of any kind and was quickly replaced due to its many flaws. The flaws that allow false readings are tire spin due to road conditions and change of wheel circumference due to snow or mud build up on tires. Honda Canada was lucky, their is no such government legislation so they just eliminated TPMS from the entire Civic lineup, it's the first manufacture to omit the TPMS in three years and will probably set a trend among others.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Some people I know just get the sensors yanked whenever they end up changing the tires and resort to the good old tire gauge. Sometimes it pays to stick to tradition and I bet if you look back at vehicles that are 4-5+ years old you'll find that some owners just don't have them reinstalled back... unless the vehicle needs to be sold and it has to pass a safety test.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
...aaaaand it's back. I think I am going to have the dealer take a look when I'm in for my first service. It's more of a minor annoyance than anything. I am sort of surprised more people aren't chiming in with the same issue.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've set a new record. 4 days without the TPMS light coming on! LOL

My tire pressure is in the high 30's but I don't think the actual pressure really matters.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Just a stab in the dark but have you tried rotating the tires around,or perhaps unhooking the battery for a while to see if it will revert to default settings.I can imagine this is bugging the heck outa ya,it would me.My 14 CRV did this about once a month and I ended up rotating the tires and didn't do it again until it actually had a low psi tire.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
By any chance are you doing any dirt road driving or tight turning in a dirt parking lot?
No, all normal road driving.

Just a stab in the dark but have you tried rotating the tires around,or perhaps unhooking the battery for a while to see if it will revert to default settings.I can imagine this is bugging the heck outa ya,it would me.My 14 CRV did this about once a month and I ended up rotating the tires and didn't do it again until it actually had a low psi tire.
Interesting. I am about to get snows on, with different wheels. Will be interesting to see how those do.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
If the TMPS light does turn on once you've put on snow tires, rotate them first and see if that helps. At least that way you can scratch of a possible solution if it doesn't work and figure out what does work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Still on the first tank of gas on my new 2017 hatchback, my TPMS light came on this morning a few minutes after I ran over a piece of trash that went 'klunk, klunk' under the car. So I checked my tire pressures: they're all 48-50 psi cold. The door sticker says 32. Why? Also, further evidence to support the theory that hitting a bump might trigger the TPMS light.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts