10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello world. Can anyone tell me the sensitivity of the TPMS on the 2017 EX-T. I just installed new rims and tires, recalibrated the TPMS and kept it moving. A little while later I got the warning light. I checked the tire pressures and got 36.5/37/37/39.5. I evened out the tire pressures but am wondering if that differential should have been enough to trigger the warning light or if my car is just being difficult. Thank you in advance for any info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Civic's TPMS system monitors for a change in wheel speed in relation to that of the other wheels and it also compares front tire resonance to trigger the warning indicator. When recalibrating the system learns the current wheel speed differences of all 4 wheels and uses those values as the baseline to compare future values against. But I believe that the system has some hard rules about balance so that the system will indicate when a difference in drive wheel speed occurs during straight steady travel even when recalibrated under those conditions. This is most likely to prevent undue stress on the differential. The differential is designed to let the drive wheels rotate at different speeds because it is necessary when turning the vehicle. But a constant significant difference in drive wheel speeds is not desirable and probably will result in the indicator illuminating. I'm not a Honda engineer and don't have any proof to support this idea but base my opinion on an educated guess and some observations of Honda's design philosophy. It's entirely possible that my assumptions are incorrect so take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Also it may be possible that the calibration process has not been completed, although you initiated it certain conditions have to exist for completion. you can check if calibration has competed by doing the following:
1. stop and put M/T in neutral for CVT park or neutral.
2. turn car off.
3. turn car on and the low pressure indicator should come on for 2 seconds and then turn off.
4. don't move the car just wait for about 45 seconds, if calibration is complete the indicator WILL NOT come back on, but if it is not complete it will come back on for 2 seconds and back off. If it comes back on and stays on or continues blinking then you have a problem with the TPMS system.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After cross leveling the tire pressures and recalibrating the TPMS it has not given my any issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts