10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I picked up my white '17 Si Coupe last Saturday. Is anyone else having trouble shifting into reverse? The problem reminds me of my '95 del Sol! My '14 Si Coupe had no trouble shifting from any gear or neutral into reverse, but this '17 often needs to be put into a forward gear first and then into reverse like the "old days." It's even got stuck once on me completely and I couldn't move the shifter into any gear at all. Had to try moving it for about 20 seconds or more before it popped out of whatever jam it was in.

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Jason1,

I do get that sometimes in my 17 Si Sedan. I think there might be a slight problem with the way the shifter is build on that car. What I do is what I got used to doing on my Evo is to go into 2nd then into reverse or use more force if I am trying to shift in reverse right away. Its not bothering me much yet, but maybe if yours is really bad, I would talk to the dealer.

Let me know what the dealer says if you do talk to them.

Best of luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got my 17 Si Sedan 6/28 and haven't noticed this much except when barely moving (foot off the brake on fairly level ground). I do notice the crazy lockout that's there when the vehicle is going above 5mph.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will do, thanks! There's a couple other things I want to talk to them about so I'll mention the shifter as well. Knock on wood I haven't heard any squeaking yet!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I thought this was just me, but that was the first thing I noticed in my new si sedan. It goes into reverse but it takes more muscle/force then my previous si did. It doesn't do it all the time but it does it more often then not. And sometimes it doesn't want to go into second gear either, it's rare, but it's happened.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I made the post about the squeaking... Turns out it's the little ring at the top of the boot that keeps squeaking when I shift. I'm now having the same issue where I really have to pull it into reverse for it to go in, definitely not as smooth as the other gears by any means. Also, there's been a few times now where I go to shift into 1st from neutral and it kind of gets stuck and won't go to the left so I have to shake it out of whatever jam it's in and then I can shift it to the left towards 1st and 2nd.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bought mine 7/1 Still on my first tank of gas also. ( company vehicles are great) going into reverse def seems off sometimes and maybe it's just me but 5th to 6th isn't clean. It's my first 6spd but lots of manuals including a heavy performance clutch in an evo 8. Probably just me but I go 5th to 4th all the time, prob my fault though

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yesterday, my SECOND instance of the manual transmission in the '17 SI getting STUCK. I don't mean squeaking. I don't mean clumsy. No, it would NOT move. I was going NOWHERE. (I should say: the car was stopped; engine on; and I'm trying to get into Reverse). Stuck like "in between" 5th gear position and Reverse. I tried lifting upwards, pushing downwards, fussing with clutch, fussing with Brake-hold, fussing with Parking brake, all the while thinking: TRY TO REMEMBER WHAT MOVEMENT FIXES IT, and... eventually it came unstuck, but I can NOT remember how/why it became un-stuck. This is horrible.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'd try to remember what GETS it stuck, so you can bring it to a dealer for warranty work...
Otherwise, you know how it goes - the problem never occurs when you bring it to the dealer or the mechanic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Interesting. I thought it could have been because I'm not accustomed to a 6 speed yet, but I'll try it out again. Like the other poster, I'm only on my first tank of gas too.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Occassionally, if I am not at a full stop the car definitely won't go into reverse...simple user error. However, twice I have felt that reverse didn't engage and when I let off the clutch lightly it grinded *cringe*

I am going to be ordering some shifter cable bushings

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yesterday, and the THIRD time overall, going into Reverse, 2017 SI, it gets stuck (the shifter) and it's DISCONSERTING, 'cuz you're not going anywhere until you get it unstuck. And then it gets unstuck, but I haven't yet fathomed what I did to make it get unstuck. Argh...!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just sent this (below) to the service-person at my local dealership.

I have a question about my (new) 2017 Civic “SI”

Have you heard about
or
Are there technical bulletins about
or
“Recalls” about...

this…

The shifter gets stuck sometimes.

The story goes like this. Engine is on, and you’re wanting to go into REVERSE.

It is ALWAYS just-slightly clunky, but who knows — that might just be subjective.

But what OCCASIONALLY happens is that the lever gets completely frozen-stuck and INOPERABLE in an area we might describe as “in between” 5th and Reverse. And, it’s very disconcerting, because YOU’RE NOT GOING ANYWHERE until this is unstuck. This has happened three times to me, and on the second and third time, I thought: “OK, now THINK…! What will you do that will help to diagnose this thing…?”

1) if you very slowly let the clutch out, there’s no gear-grinding or noise or movement at all, so it’s the LEVER, not the transmission itself. I don’t think it’s in any gear at all when this happens…

2) I tried gently wiggling. I tried LIFTING UP. I tried turning the car OFF, and then wiggle. Turn car back on.

Nothing makes sense — AND YET — somehow it becomes unstuck. When it IS stuck, it is definitely stuck. You get this sinking feeling. Also, it’s horrible to now have this “fear” of your (otherwise pretty wonderful) car.

I’m thinking it’s some faulty “bushing” or something is BENT, or…

Anyway, have you heard this before…?

It has happened a few times to others who have written about it in the “10th-Civic-Forum.com” internet thing:

https://www.10thcivicforum.com/forum/74-10th-gen-civic-si-forum-2018-civic-type-r-forum/20217-trouble-shifting-reverse.html

THANKS for pondering this…!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts