10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've yet to post an intro. I'll do that soon.

Not an owner… yet. I'm hoping to purchase a 2017/2018 Civic Hatchback Sport/Manual in the next year.

I've got a long story that some may find interesting, but that's for my intro.

I will say this: I do recall, from "back in the day", the turbo craze as it unfolded in the mid-70's. Exciting. Crazy. Cool. And sometimes outright NUTTY. Interesting to see Honda FINALLY realize the full potential of turbocharging in this manner: increasing power as needed or desired from a small displacement engine while still taking advantage of relative higher fuel efficiency from a smaller displacement engine. In my mind, as I've seen turbo solutions come and go, Honda remains the only manufacturer to truly utilize turbocharging in this manner, as all others have fallen prey to the addiction of power that turbocharging provides - and there goes fuel efficiency out the window. There is a balance between performance and fuel efficiency with this approach, and Honda has so far given us the BEST solution - the 10th generation Honda Civic is so far the finest realization and balance of that potential.

But I digress… as I was involved in all things motorsports, I remember a piece of hardware that was quite popular with SCCA racers during the 70's. I witnessed it's adoption by turbo owners as the turbo craze unfolded. And for good reason.

It's a no-brainer for me… once I purchase my Civic Hatchback Turbo (or Si should the planets align), this is the FIRST and most IMMEDIATE mod I'll make:

Well, I tried to provide a link, no go. So here: Do a search for "Acccusump Turbo Oiller".

It's benefits are obvious, and I still recall them after all these years. Happy to know the company is still around.

I don't see this piece of hardware mentioned in any thread just yet. I guess some of us old-schoolers may still have something to contribute. Hope this helps.

RayBee27
P.S. Hope I did this right…

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Nice info down there!
never heard of it and been in this forum for quite some times...maybe somebody else is going to chime in!
welcome to the forum and hope youll get youre car soon~!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I remember reading about post and pre-Oilers back in those days you mentioned, I think some things have changed since then. My first turbo car was a 2010 VW TDI, great car for fuel economy and overall you could save some money if you were a hands-on enthusiast. Not so great for off the line, light turned green, two lanes merge for the on ramp, dragracing with minivans, type driving. I think the most important thing that has changed is the types of oils we're using today. I just make it a point to not use the turbo a few minutes before parking I don't give it another thought. I'm not an expert on this, just relaying my opinion. By the way, I took my car right out of the show room and went on a 2500 mile vacation, thanks to the engine and turbo combination, I was able of net 42 miles per gallon at highway speed's with a modicum of stepping into the gas pedal for a little bit. 42 was also the sticker mpg for the Jetta, however I was able to obtain this in the civic without any of the hassles of the diesel or DSG transmission.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts