10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys i'm a new owner of a Honda Civic Hatchback Sport in Canada. I was just wondering with the Turbo engine should i wait for it to warm up before i drive it? Also when i'm done driving should i wait a few minutes before turning the car off? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
hello! welcome to the forum!
while starting the engine theres no need to wait too long before driving only 30 sec is plenty!
and for whats it is of when its time to turn the car off...it only depends if youve just been boosting a lot before turning it off....(should wait 1 minute or so....)
if not youre good!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Do you guys recommend getting a catch can? I saw that floating around a page on facebook people were saying its a must. Im new to turbo cars as well so Im just trying to make this car last.

·
Registered
382 Posts
catch can's have been making a bigger scene since the direct injection engines have hit the market. when i had my '11 Sonata, many owners, especially the turbo ones added a catch can and they would accumulate oil in it.

i never installed one on my car...drove it from new to 64K miles in 2.5 years. i would periodically check the oil level and it was always fine. so, if i had blow by, it was so minimal that it wouldnt' show on the dipstick between oil changes.

the biggest thing you have to remember to do is....dispose of the oil - CORRECTLY.

others will have their own opinion. if you feel more comfortable with one, then, by all means, add one.

·
Registered
167 Posts
catch can's have been making a bigger scene since the direct injection engines have hit the market. when i had my '11 Sonata, many owners, especially the turbo ones added a catch can and they would accumulate oil in it.

i never installed one on my car...drove it from new to 64K miles in 2.5 years. i would periodically check the oil level and it was always fine. so, if i had blow by, it was so minimal that it wouldnt' show on the dipstick between oil changes.

the biggest thing you have to remember to do is....dispose of the oil - CORRECTLY.

others will have their own opinion. if you feel more comfortable with one, then, by all means, add one.
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Engine oil, controls, materials and tolerances are such they its unneeded. 1-2 seconds to have oil pressure then go. Take it easy until it's up to temp. But idling has little value.

Longer the engine is cold, longer it's running rich and burning less clean, adds moisture and fuel to the oil, etc.

By the time you are in gear and lift the brake, your ready to go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just posted a thread, see "Turbo After Oiller"

Thanks for asking this question - it finally got me off my duff to post something I've been wanting to for quite some time.

RayBee27

·
Registered
114 Posts
I wait for the engine to drop RPM band to right around 1000 rpm or lower. This allows for the oil to get out of the oil pan and up into the engine entrails and gizzards first. I then feather the throttle until the coolant temps get all the way up. Only after that do I consider rapid accelerations.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would warm it up and not only that but wait for the RPM to get close to the '1000' mark just like what Sonic said above. Remember your Maintenance MMS will ding you if you do not take trips >5 miles and even > 10 miles so it weighs it HEAVY.
2nd ques: don't get into the turbo within a few miles of when you are going to stop or turn the car off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts