10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my new EX-T 2016 2 weeks ago.

Love it so far!

But...

I've noticed an issue when cruising at 60mph or so on the freeway. I haven't gone faster so can't determine if it gets worse at higher speeds, but I don't notice it on lower speeds such as on surface streets as of yet.

What happens is once you get to your set speed, and stop accelerating or decelerating, the engine seems to pulse / fight you as if it wants to accelerate, or decelerate, and can't make up it's mind. It feels like it's revving a little, but you don't hear any obvious noise from the engine, and the RPM only surges a very little. The turbo monitor does not show any surging or revving, but I do notice that the only time this happens is when the turbo engages. So it seems to engage to hold steady at this speed, and is causing this surging feeling.

It did not do this when I first took the car into possession, and the first week I noticed nothing odd. But it developed halfway into the 2nd week.

I brought it to my dealer's attention but they say that this is the first they've heard of it, and will let me know if they hear more issues about this problem.

Given the upcoming potential recalls of the 2.0 Liter engine, I thought I'd reach out to see if anyone else has had a similar issue to what I'm noticing on the 1.5 turbo engine.

Thanks!

·
Registered
331 Posts
What happens is once you get to your set speed, and stop accelerating or decelerating, the engine seems to pulse / fight you as if it wants to accelerate, or decelerate, and can't make up it's mind.
This has come up before.
The other Civic X forum has several multi-page threads this topic. Some people have been able to make it go away, some report temporarily, by disconnecting the battery long enough for memory to drop in the ECU(s), either on their own or coercing their dealer into doing it. Some have had dealers find "no problem". Some have reported being told that Honda says it's a known issue being investigated. My money is on it being a tuning/calibration problem with some feedback control loop causing oscillation, and will, at some point who knows how long from now, be fixed with a firmware update.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same exact issue on my EX-T. I took it to the dealer and they "reset the battery" and that seemed to have soled the issue so far on the highway. Although I'm skeptical and I think it will come back.
I also have an issue where when I play music through the bluetooth the music skips every 5-20 seconds, like the old CD's would. It's infuriating when trying to listen to music of my choice and I literally rather just listen to radio without skips. When the reset the battery the bluetooth/music problem seemed to have been solved, but it came back a week later *shakes my fist*

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have a black touring....pick it up middle of december....having the same issue with pulsing at speeds of anywhere from 50-60mph..watch the needle bounce up and down and can feel the car is jerking a little also....i switch back and fourth between eco mode and normal mode and the same thing happens...will bring it to dealers to have it check out...luv the car so far but not too happy with that pulse its annoying

·
Registered
5 Posts
pulsing issues

took it to the dealer today....service advisor said honda is aware of this problem and are working on it to get it fix....advisor said they fix it temporary for now and will send out notice to civic owners about pulsing problem..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys, just noticed this after week 3 of owning my 2016 ex-t. Noticed the pulsing at around 75 mph...glad I'm not the only one having this issue and look forward to hearing what fix Honda has in store.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am having the same issues with the ride rocking back and forth at the 55-65mph zone. I brought to dealer yesterday (along with my 15 other deficiencies) and he test drove it but as usual, didn't notice the pulsing. He did notice the RPM rock back and forth approx. 50 RPMs. I told them you have to drive it for around 20-30 miles keeping the pedal steady (also pulses in cruise mode) and you will notice it. But as usual denial is the easiest way to fix and/or rid of an issue. Honda Canada is also in denial about this issue, but I am glad that I am not alone and will use your feedback when I take them to court (so many issues that I really want out of this car).

·
Registered
991 Posts
Is it something to do with how the cruise control will slow down when you come up to another car or whatever? Could that be too sensitive?

·
Registered
20 Posts
No...it has nothing to do with cruise control. It will pulse with or with cruise. This is most likely a tranny issue. The belt could be loose (IMHO). Either way...this is not good news. Then again...that's my opinion, I could be wrong. We'll see who had the correct diagnosis sooner or later. My bet is on the CVT (mechanical) rather than the software.

·
Registered
7 Posts
After looking at multiple forums on this issue, it seems as though the battery reset (unplugging the battery) is the only solution to the problem for now. I performed the reset, and it glides like new with no pulsing. This would lead me to believe that it's just a tuning issue because it now rides fine. If it was a transmission issue, I can't imagine a battery reset would fix it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the same issue. I had my car come back from the service at the dealer and they said they hooked up their computer to the car to the and found nothing. I will try unplugging the battery later tonight to see if that works. If it does solve the problem, what are the chances that it will happen again? Do we need to periodically unplug the battery in order to enjoy a smooth ride? And if so, for how long? (weeks, months, years)

·
Registered
7 Posts
From the posts I've been reading, it looks like even after disconnecting the battery, the problem does end up returning eventually. Kind of ridiculous that we have to keep unplugging the battery on a new vehicle, but until they come up with a fix, nothing we can do.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've noticed this a few times in the last week. 1600 miles or so, and a slight pulsing happens when going downhill ~75MPH, with our without cruise control. I use cruise control moderately but it doesn't matter for this problem. The CVT is having issues figuring out the proper ratio when it is going downhill.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Honda replaces Executive VP and two US managers.
If you`ve been inconvenienced. I notice Yoshi M. is promoted, is he the confident guy in the 1.5 engine video.
cred to automobile mag online.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
In the past with other vehicles I noticed some people had to go to multiple dealers, contact the manufacture, before they could get someone to take them seriously, to the extent of having an engineer fly out to look at the issue. That might be the case here.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I'm wondering if this could be an issue with the software that "learns" the drivers habits. Each car eventually drives just a little differently than another because the transmission and throttle "learn" how the driver drives over time. Could it be a flaw/glitch in the learning process during break in period that is causing this issue with some people and not with others.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts