10th Honda Civic Forum banner

Turn Off Engine While Driving

10K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  B20Vtec 
#1 ·
No idea where the person heard this from but apparently, in the EX and above trims for the Honda Civic, the Start/Stop button is functional while the car is in motion. Not quite sure why someone would do that, maybe they want to save gas by cruising? I can't imagine the damage this would do to a car even if it were possible.

Or this is just someone trolling civic owners. :surprise:

#4 ·
considering that car makers have been putting in nanny's like that for a very long time now, we should expect that to happen by default. plus out of most brands out there acura seems to be the one that will get this right and be the least likely to not weed out problems with something simple as this.

#5 ·
What stopped you from turning the ignition key to off, while in motion, in the decades before we had the button? Nothing. Because of cases like the Toyota unintended acceleration freakout, they probably think making it possible to turn the engine off while in motion is, net, a safety feature not defect. What are you all thinking is the worst thing that happens if you turn it from on to accessory while in motion?

#6 ·
I just happened to see this mentioned in the owner's manual the other day. Page 545 indicates the following as an emergency stop. Luckily just knocking the button accidentally shouldn't cause the engine to shut off...

The ENGINE START/STOP button may be used to stop the engine due to an
emergency situation even while driving. If you must stop the engine, do either of the
following operations:
• Press and hold the ENGINE START/STOP button for about two seconds.
• Firmly press the ENGINE START/STOP button twice.

#8 ·
I assume the only time people would use this is if their brakes weren't working or if the gas pedal somehow becomes stuck. Since it's used as a sort of emergency stop, that means it'll work at any speed. wonder what that's be like at freeway speeds.

#9 ·
More so if the gas pedal sticks.. I don't think it can really benefit you if your brakes stop working. Taking "a car" off on the freeway at freeway speeds I have experienced in older vehicles. Back when I was younger and my buddies were stupid as ever, they thought it was funny. Nothing really happens, just start the car back and you're good to go.

#13 ·
Precisely that ^^

I think Infiniti was working on an actual all electric steering, no linkage in between, just signals. But I'm not too sure if they were going forward with that as you can imagine the technical issues it could have with the potential safety issues.

#14 ·
unless Honda changed it for the 2016 model...

i have a '14 model, but same basic electronics - i keep an eye on you 10th gens to see what i need to be on the lookout for when the hatches are released.

yes, you can accidentally shut the engine off while cruising down interstate. i know first hand. rush hour...cruising along at 65-70 mph...a car blows a tire two lanes over (far right hand lane) and swerves to the left, crossing two lanes. this causes everyone to slam on brakes...including me. we come to nearly complete stop. and cars behind were barreling down on us. i reach up to hit hazard lights...and inadvertantly hit the 'stop/start' button instead...killing the engine! unfortunately, you just can't shift to neutral and restart your car...the built in nanny, 'foot on brake' must be applied before starting the car...so, i had to coast over to the right lane...and completely stop the car, foot on brake before i could get going again.

lesson learned...forget the hazards in an emergency and hope for the best!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.