10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum, but I did search looking for this problem, but didn't see any reference to it. I might add, that I opened a ticket with Honda about this issue, and oddly enough, they've never heard of it. To wit....

Using a USB drive is the only way to arrange songs in folders. Doing so allows you to play different genre based on your mood, rather than having all your sounds playing serially (like an iPhone, iPad, or iPod does). With that in mind, only the odd songs play. Even songs beep at your three times, and display an unreadable file message. If we assume there are just three songs on the USB drive, it will play the first one, beep on the second one, play the third one, and then play the second one. However, in the latter case, even though the song plays, the track number has a one added to it, and you still get the beeps! If you remove the song numbers, the files can't be read, and the error message says no device connected!

The drive in question is a SanDisk, 16 MB with a 130 MB/s speed rating. However, the issue remains no matter which thumb drive is being used.

I did my best on line to find the problem before I came here, and I did find reference to it several places. However, none had answers from Honda. This morning, when I contacted Honda by phone, they told me that no one will call me back, or send me an email informing me of any "fix", but that the local dealer would contact me if there was a fix. Well, I wonder, because my local dealer was not aware of the issue. The service manager confirmed the issue, and initiated a report on his own. I'll have to wait to see if there is a fix.

All this said, I'd be delighted to hear from anyone who has the same issue.

Alan Applegate, Roswell, NM

·
Registered
382 Posts
ah....figured it out for you. you are in roswell. lots of strange, unexplained things go on there. move to las cruces and everything will work just fine.

seriously, i've never heard of this before...and i was on this forum before the 10th gens actually were available for sale...so, it's a new one to me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, strange things happen in Roswell. As a cross check, my wife's 2018 Fit does exactly the same thing. I then took the thumb drive out to the dealer, and each (17 or 18) model on the lot did the same thing!

To answer 4 tires, I thought the same thing. In fact, it sort of follows how MP3 stacks files. To get around that, I downloaded the same files as MP4s. Doing so allows the screen to display the album cover, but it still skips the even numbered entries.

What really puzzles me about this, is why others haven't mentioned it or noticed it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE:

Honda has replaced the "smart radio", but obviously, this did not solve the issue. But its doing things now it didn't do before—it requires resetting about every 200 miles!

It is irritating to say the least. At present, there isn't a local factory rep, and until one is hired, nothing can or will be done. Honda apparently could not care less!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a similar problem with my 2016 Civic Coupe. I just purchased a Sandisk 32mb Sport Clip Go, so I could play Audible books, mostly. Even though my Sport Clip Go is fully charged and the software upgraded to the latest OS, my 2016 Honda Civic does no recognize the unit at all and the USB screen shows "no data". As soon as the unit is plugged in, it starts to charge, even though it is fully charged. If I unplug it, I can get to an Audible book to show on the screen, but once it is plugged again, the unit reverts to charging. While we're at it, where can I get a usefully long USB2.0 power cord? So far, only the ridiculously short cord that came with the unit works with the Sport Clip Go. The Audible books are saved as MP3 files.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What size is your drive and format type? This issue may be caused by the corrupted disk, unsupported file systems, and drive size. There is an older thread about this issue: USB FlashDrive Wont Read

I have the same issue. For some reason, the drive won't mount on its own. I formatted the flash as FAT32 on my Windows, then try it in the car again this will make it auto mount :) happen to me.

Please make sure to back up important data from the USB flash drive. However, if you plug your USB drive on Windows, the drive is not accessible and you are unable to back up music files. That indicates the drive is corrupted. In this situation, you can use data recovery software like Recuva, EaseUS, iBoysoft. I only have experiences with iBoysoft Data Recovery, which is easy to use and saves my life from different data loss disasters. Read this tutorial: USB flash drive data recovery: Recover lost data from USB flash drive

This solution did not work for everyone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts