10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I realize the point, overall, of synthetic oil is for maximum protection against wear and what not however has anyone switched over to FULL SYNTHETIC and feel it uses more boost when you look at the boost guage/bar? I noticed this with HGMO 0w-20 full synthetic and wasn't sure if I just didn't get some Harvey disaster oil that maybe have been under water and just might have a defect. On the flip side, does anyone feel more lively throttle, placebo or not, after switching over to full syn HGMO either directly after first oil change or subsequent to it?

I would like you to speak up regarding non HGMO oilif you simply changed to full synthetic but were not impressed or did not feel any significant seat of the pants and thus placebo effect putting positive in it. IF you do not have time to write up, please use these canned choices of your response, copy or cut and paste.

1. Changed over to HGMO Full syn and it felt the same.
2. Changed over to HGMO Full syn and it felt better,
3. Changed over to non HGMO full syn and it felt the same
4. Change over to non HGMO full syn and it felt better.
5. Haven't changed out the FF but plan on using dealer full syn HGMO 0w-20.

EDIT: C'mon, I know many of you have had oil changes on your 17 Civics, post up...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Copy and paste one of the CANNED CHOICES below and hit REPLY now: this is regarding your prev oil changes on your Civic. It's the win win of the board!

1. Changed FF to HGMO Full syn and it felt the same.
2. Changed FF to HGMO Full syn and it felt better,
3. Changed FF to non HGMO full syn and it felt the same
4. Change FF to non HGMO full syn and it felt better.
5. Haven't changed out the FF but plan on using dealer full syn HGMO 0w-20.

EDIT: C'mon, I know many of you have new age handuhs and not yet had oil changes on your 17 Civics or yes, post up..(ALLL YOU CAN eat buffet)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
one thing I will say is that Civic X definitely suffers from engine heat soak in jungle weather, lol. You know how I know? We finally cut loose the 105 degree heat index and it feels like thats what it needed to reenergize. All you guys in mild temperatures year around have it TOO GOOD. Now if someone can enlighten me on the best 0w-20 for heat soak, I'm all ears. My guess is from previous experience is Quaker 'flake" Ultimate synthetic. Ofcourse that was higher weighted 10w-30s so no clue with 0w-20. Right now, I got honda full.

Edit: To answer my ques, it is the heat soak that is complicating the higher boost need with fullsyn.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have been using full synthetic oils for more than 30 years now. I've never noticed any changes in the operation of the vehicles, nor have I been able to document any changes in mileage. However, I have never experienced any mileage related issues such as leakage, lowered compression or oil burning with cars up to 200,000 miles. Airlines have been using synthetic oil for decades as it reduces the intervals between engine maintenance and repair (most likely because it doesn't break down at extreme temperatures). I think it's money well spent

·
Registered
6 Posts
I tweek everything. It goes back to my high school days when I couldn't afford what the rich kids daddy bought them. A nickle here, a dime there, and a lot of maybe I shouldn't do that. We are talking about things like running Nav gas and ATF fluid for oil for a race. But, Mobil One High Mileage has never failed me. I run it in my cars, motorcycles, scooters, and lawn equipment.

As for performance increase immediately after an oil change, it is likely due to several factors. First, when you changed the oil, you (may)/have replaced the oil filter/air filters. A clean filter is going to reduce oil/air drag through the system. Second, a good shop will check for flash upgrades and they may have installed them during your oil change. Your shop should have reset your engine management system to remove the oil change notifications code in the ECM. Many of the codes will reduce engine performance to safeguard against catastrophic failure. Finally, many vehicles have a break-in period in which the engine is not capable of optimal performance. Once you hit a certain mileage, the ECM unlocks the electronics. This may include adding the engines ability to adapt to driving conditions or "learning", clearing air maps and a whole slew of other electronic settings including transmission parameters.

While individually, all these factors have limited performance increases, combined they may have provided a noticeable increase in performance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts