10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was showing my cousin my car today and it rained all night and morning and he was wondering if it had the capless fuel filler so I showed him (it was sunny by this point in the day) and he noticed a lot of water around the bottom of the little flap valve and he pushed his finger to open the valve and the chamber inside was full of water.

We both confirmed that it was water and not gas. So I took paper towels and absorbed all the water out so that it didn't fall into the fuel tank trying to put gas into it. Later that afternoon I went to a local Honda dealer and told a salesmen about the water inside the chamber between the two flap valves and asked if we could check one of the Civics that sat out in the rain so we walked around and looked at two 4-doors and they where all dry. We walked across the lot to a 2-door like mine and what do you know, the chamber was completely filled with water just like mine was!

Has anyone else had this problem before? I did call Honda corp and open a case for this and in the mean time I'm taking a piece of plastic grocery bag and covering the entrance with the plastic with a rubber band holding it tightly. I never did like the idea of the capless fuel filler. Is there a way to retro fit a regular gas cap? My cousin showed me on his F150 that there is a seal that seals the outside gas door to the body but the Civics don't seem to have any kind of seal between the gas door and body to add a little extra protection for water to get in.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was showing my cousin my car today and it rained all night and morning and he was wondering if it had the capless fuel filler so I showed him (it was sunny by this point in the day) and he noticed a lot of water around the bottom of the little flap valve and he pushed his finger to open the valve and the chamber inside was full of water.

We both confirmed that it was water and not gas. So I took paper towels and absorbed all the water out so that it didn't fall into the fuel tank trying to put gas into it. Later that afternoon I went to a local Honda dealer and told a salesmen about the water inside the chamber between the two flap valves and asked if we could check one of the Civics that sat out in the rain so we walked around and looked at two 4-doors and they where all dry. We walked across the lot to a 2-door like mine and what do you know, the chamber was completely filled with water just like mine was!

Has anyone else had this problem before? I did call Honda corp and open a case for this and in the mean time I'm taking a piece of plastic grocery bag and covering the entrance with the plastic with a rubber band holding it tightly. I never did like the idea of the capless fuel filler. Is there a way to retro fit a regular gas cap? My cousin showed me on his F150 that there is a seal that seals the outside gas door to the body but the Civics don't seem to have any kind of seal between the gas door and body to add a little extra protection for water to get in.
I live on a dusty gravel road and as well as water getting in there I have horrendous amount of dirt in there.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live on a dusty gravel road and as well as water getting in there I have horrendous amount of dirt in there.
Dayum.... So I guess I need to find a plastic cap that will fit over it or continue using the plastic bag + rubber band method. I guess some type of cap that fits snug would look better but if this is a problem, doesn't Honda owe us a fix?

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Wouldn't a large rubber stopper work? Like used on glass beeker.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm thinking I might run some weather stripping around the gas door like the F150's have that way I can maintain the factory "cap-less" fueling effect, lol.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I tried the weather stripping and the problem is I couldn't get any thin enough without having to try to shave it in half with scissors and it was impossible to cut a perfectly flat line all the way around - even tried a brand new razor blade. But I tried anyway and a let the garden hose lightly spray around the seams of the gas door, dried the car, and then opened the gas door and some water still made its way through the weather stripping. I also didn't like how it made the gas door stick out a little and made it harder to open and close so I guess no-go on the weather stripping. Back to the drawing board, lol. Capless fueling is like the stupidest idea ever!

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I did see a car a week or two back with black rubber hanging out of the gas cap door and wondered if it was a factory flap that was out of place or an attempt by an owner to fix a problem. Can't recall model but it wasn't a Honda.

·
Registered
1 Posts
same problem here

I have only had my sport for a week. Yesterday, I took it for its first fill up. The flap that you are talking about was frozen shut because water had gotten inside of the fuel door.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have only had my sport for a week. Yesterday, I took it for its first fill up. The flap that you are talking about was frozen shut because water had gotten inside of the fuel door.
So how did you fill up? did you force the nozzle into the hole?

For the most part the cap less necks are pretty well designed and do have drains to wash out dirt and let moisture escape.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts