10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to a Lease a 2020 Honda Civic EX 1.5T for my college stepdaughter. I’ve never Leased a vechile in thirty years plus driving. I’m going to co sign for her for a 3 yrs 15 k miles with the $400 added protection. For dings,dents and etc. Ive got great credit and she’s just beginning. What do u think she pay for a good deal on a monthly payment??

·
Super Moderator
239 Posts
Lots of opinions on this subject. . . I say it's a bad idea. Leasing is ideal for specific people under specific circumstances:

You don't plan on driving much.
You take better than average care of your car.
You plan on leasing another one at the end of the lease.
You're comfortable making car payments, essentially forever.

On a lease, you do NOT own the car, and as such you need to treat the car like it's someone else's. I don't know your college-aged stepdaughter, but I'll go out on a limb and say that she's not super into what she drives; that life, friends, and school are of much greater import. The car is a tool that facilitates her lifestyle and will be treated as such. You will likely be very surprised at the end of said lease when you attempt to turn it in and see all the residual charges (because regardless of the added "insurance" you will be charged for what they consider to be "excessive wear-and-tear").

Do what you will, and the answer to your initial question is: "It will depend upon how much you're putting down and which model and trim you're looking at." But my advice is "Don't do this. You will come to regret it, or she will, or someone will, but not the lessor. They will come out fine at the end."

Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
You sound like an awesome stepfather! But this is not the way to show it. The insurance would be so high for a college student! It would be better if you and her were to buy an affordable used car around 4-6 years old. If I was a young women and had a car like this I would put on more than 15k miles in one year😇 and I don’t drive like an old-er lady (even though I’m 64). I know she’ll be disappointed but this is one lesson young people have to learn: you have to wait for something this nice and afford it on their own. Just a mom’s perspective who’s been there. Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts