10th Honda Civic Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts
I'll find a list of oils that Ive seen that breaks down moly levels.I believe Redline has some of the highest levels in their 0w/20 synthetic line.
If it was my choice I'd run Red Line 0w/20 in my Civic, it has a nice 9.0 viscosity at 100 degs C, and like their other formulas contains a large amount of Moly additive, pretty much along the levels of our factory fill oil. I run Red Line oil in my S2000 and recorded significant decreases in aluminum wear (pistons, cylinders, head cam journals) compared to all other oils that I've run and tested.

Unfortunately Red Line is not API certified so Honda could put the screws to me if I ever had an engine failure, I really want to run it though.

Reactions: 5TAR
I stuck this thread as this is a popular topic and common question.

Didn't realize that Red Line was that good.

With how much Motul is praised in the Honda community I wonder if that does some level of good similar to Red Line?
Unless all the hype around Motul is just that, hype.

Glad to see this thread progressing well.

I'm going with Amsoil signature series 0w20 for my first oil change.Also here is a link to a interesting site that compares oils and the additives.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/

Extra Virgin Olive... that's what I use.

As for my car, it will be full synthetic 0W20. I've had good success with Mobil 1 over the years, but can't believe other major brands are not sufficient.

I do annual oil & filter changes on my cars using this full synthetic. We avoid short trips or engine idling. The engine has always trouble-free for the life of the car.

This includes my last one, which we had for 17 years and 170,000 miles and never used oil.

Ohhhh Popeye gonna be maaaaaad.

If it was my choice I'd run Red Line 0w/20 in my Civic, it has a nice 9.0 viscosity at 100 degs C, and like their other formulas contains a large amount of Moly additive, pretty much along the levels of our factory fill oil. I run Red Line oil in my S2000 and recorded significant decreases in aluminum wear (pistons, cylinders, head cam journals) compared to all other oils that I've run and tested.

Unfortunately Red Line is not API certified so Honda could put the screws to me if I ever had an engine failure, I really want to run it though.
On the Red line site it shows it to be API cert. Even shows it as a replacement for Honda/Acura part numbers. Unless I am looking up the wrong oil .
redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=124&pcid=21

Great topic BTW.
I have been using Honda bottled oil forever in all my Honda's, never any issues.

C.

OW-20 (per Owner Manual) MOBILE 1 Extended Performance - guaranteed up to 20,000 miles they advertise - recent WEB Page stated this as BEST Oil
5.7 quart , so 5 quarts $29 and half of 1 quart $10 (yikes)
Honda OEM Oil Filter (forgot number - for 2021 Honda Type R)
11.6 k miles, and my car instrument panel stated 15% oil life - so i just did my First (2nd owner) Oil Change (6k was 1st oil change per records)
CABIN AIR Filter was replaced by Me - it was Filthy with little leaves, dust, un-hook Glove Box for install - SUGGESTED Change every 5-7k miles $15 part
Engine DROP IN Filter was replaced by Me - K&N high performance, washable, n re-oil it with a "K&N Clean KIT" (ugh) 50% more air flow, 4 hp increase per WEB pages -
ADDS louder Swoosh, Voom FINISH on accelerations - it is a New Sound, Neat-O affect

Thought I'd start one here. So which oil is everyone using?
I started out with 0-20w liqui moli top tec 6200. But I decided to put an aggressive power tune and switched over to Tribo-Dyn Tri ex² w/ceramic. And let me tell you. This stock 1.5L had everyone shook at the power she had when I revved her up to 6,000 rpm in town(I may have embarrassed someone with a white 23' Type R behind me as well) it was hilarious 😂

I started out with 0-20w liqui moli top tec 6200. But I decided to put an aggressive power tune and switched over to Tribo-Dyn Tri ex² w/ceramic. And let me tell you. This stock 1.5L had everyone shook at the power she had when I revved her up to 6,000 rpm in town(I may have embarrassed someone with a white 23' Type R behind me as well) it was hilarious 😂
Oh and the Top Tec 6200 is ≈$70 every oil change. And the Tribo-Dyn is ≈$85 every oil change. So yeah. You get what you pay for

"If" we pay attn to every oil seminar there is, esp on cylinder scoring with direct injection (L&N Engineering and Lake jr over at Total Seal -
Their synopsis is - Move up one viscosity from where the factory asks which I think is 0 -30 ? so go to 5-30 for better protection.
Sorry tooo many cars in my head but that's the drift.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.