10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the purpose for a tachometer with a CVT transmission? There are no gear changes. I have turned my tach off in settings. I didn't see a use for it unless someone can enlighten me. Thank you.

·
Registered
143 Posts
So you don't blow your engine. During break-in, keep under 3500 RPM, and afterward under 6500.

Also for us hypermilers, we try to keep RPM's low to save gas. Just by lifting the gas pedal and restoring, you can get the RPM's to drop

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you don't blow your engine. During break-in, keep under 3500 RPM, and afterward under 6500.

Also for us hypermilers, we try to keep RPM's low to save gas. Just by lifting the gas pedal and restoring, you can get the RPM's to drop
Thank you. Sounds reasonable; now I know...I'll turn it back on.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Tachs are useful and fun but certainly not neccessary. After that initial break in your ears and other senses incl seeing the speedo will keep you away from a destructive extended over rev. Our Si has the vtec shift lights, but on the street you have to get pretty dramatic if not illegal to get into them.

I don't have a '16 but I'd expect all sorts of fuel economy guages are on board, probably hard to avoid.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Considering there will be a Si and type-r version, it makes sense to go ahead and design a cluster that serves that packaging as long as it doesn't detract from the current ones.

·
Registered
213 Posts
for sure, but the point being that a CVT by design always keeps the engine in the powerband
Uh, no it doesn't. You decide with your right foot what RPM you want, and the car merely catches up, kinda like a slipping clutch.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Uh, no it doesn't. You decide with your right foot what RPM you want, and the car merely catches up, kinda like a slipping clutch.
I would have to agree. The CVT in my 2014 Accord was usually operating at 2000 rpm or less while driving. This engine speed is not in the powerband but was efficient. Powerband and efficient rarely exist together.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Precisely, and that's why my next Civic will have two doors and three pedals. I can keep the engine in the powerband when I want to. ;)

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
My 95 civic didn't have a tach (automatic transmission) and i thought it was the weirdest thing. even with an auto i enjoy being able to see my revs whether it be for fuel economy purposes or otherwise. It's not 100% necessary, but certainly something most people would want/expect in any car. Also, i can't imagine having 2 different gauge layouts would be cost effective between manual and CVT civics.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts