10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Civics use to be small compact sedans. Now they are a lot more big and bulky.

When comparing two different generations of Honda's, the new Civic is roughly the same size as the 94' Honda Accord:

1994 Honda Accord
Weight: 2855 lbs
Width: 70 inches
Height: 55 inches
Wheelbase: 106.9 inches

9th Gen Civic
Weight: 2800 lbs
Width: 70 inches
Height: 56 inches
Wheelbase: 105.1 inches

Because the Civic is so big now. Is there a place for smaller vehicle lineup?

·
Registered
991 Posts
There is room for a smaller vehicle, but I'm not sure if Honda really sees that as a priority. They might be happier spending their resources in other segments. Cars generally have grown over time though. I think that it is a general trend in the industry.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Segment creep its called and its happened to pretty much every vehicle. The most telling is Full size pickups. Current 1500's are the same size as 2500's 15 years ago, its unreal.

The next civic will get larger still as its to share platforms with the accord...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Too many Americans believe that bigger is better, so when the design committee sits down at the conference table and tries to decide what to do for the next generation; "make it bigger" is always a cheap gimmick that's safe.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Very true, and then as time goes on they introduce more small models. Its not an anomaly. Its kinda the norm.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Too many Americans believe that bigger is better, so when the design committee sits down at the conference table and tries to decide what to do for the next generation; "make it bigger" is always a cheap gimmick that's safe.
While that is true, in the process it helps them straddle more than one segment, they can pull in buyers from surrounding segments where buyers want space but everything the type of car a civic is has to offer.

·
Registered
876 Posts
While that is true, in the process it helps them straddle more than one segment, they can pull in buyers from surrounding segments where buyers want space but everything the type of car a civic is has to offer.
they might even lose people
fortunately they might not lose them to the point they go to another brand but another Honda model.

·
Registered
991 Posts
they might even lose people
fortunately they might not lose them to the point they go to another brand but another Honda model.
I think that is why we are seeing more and more different types of models coming out. People want the option of both size and style. So we are seeing all sizes of SUVs, sedans, and other types of vehicles. Something for everyone.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great points from everyone! Thanks a lot for all the information! I too understand that the market has been slowly going towards bigger vehicles and meeting market demands but I would love to see Honda still be able to instill what Honda is about and incorporate smaller cars in the industry.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is room for a smaller vehicle, but I'm not sure if Honda really sees that as a priority. They might be happier spending their resources in other segments. Cars generally have grown over time though. I think that it is a general trend in the industry.
Trends in the industry are always changing. When do you think the trends will switch and they'll go back to making smaller cars?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
While demand for bigger vehicles grow there will also be a growing need for smaller cars.

We might even see vehicles go so small that they can get really personal, like one seater personal.

But for things more relevant to this discussion, it seems it'll happen within this decade or early next decade

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, i agree with you on that. I say by early next decade we'll see big changes in vehicles sizes and a lot more convenient options. Maybe even bring back something the size of the 90's civic coupes and hatch backs.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Yeah, i agree with you on that. I say by early next decade we'll see big changes in vehicles sizes and a lot more convenient options. Maybe even bring back something the size of the 90's civic coupes and hatch backs.
there is a chance honda is moving the civic up in size to do a better job at slotting in a sub-compact sedan

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am very grateful for the fact that cars are getting larger on the inside. I had many uncomfortable drives with my 6 ft 1 frame barely fitting in the driver seat.

Other manufacturers offer a variety of smaller 4 and 2 door cars. There's also the Fit and CRZ

·
Registered
7 Posts
Because the Civic is so big now. Is there a place for smaller vehicle lineup?

It is called Fit.:D

2016 grows even more, likely related to sharing its platform with Accord which helps control costs.
I like the trend since it allows me to go lower cost with the Civic yet provides me optimal leg room.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Maneuverability shouldn't be questioned this is a Civic, you won't have to worry about how it'll do in cities, a vehicle like the Civic can only get so big.

·
Registered
31 Posts
why is OP even asking this question. its just the nature of things. every car gets better, and they introduce new cars to fill the small spaces. and those bigger ones get obsoleted.

and soon the small cars that were introduced grow bigger, the cycle starts again.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts