10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
That would certainly start to help in justifying the $35000+ suspected price tag for the Type R. In the mean time my phone still acts as a wifi hotspot. Civic wifi would just be one more monthly bill for the service.

·
Registered
876 Posts
That might be a bit of a tough one as it will be a plan that gives you more GB's than smartphone plans do. We might have to wait and see what plans service providers release.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How much would you be willing to pay for the service plan per month?
TBH I'm not sure and like Smith said I guess we'll have to wait and see what they offer and if they even bother putting in wi-fi...

·
Registered
876 Posts
Yup.

Months ago I remember seeing some article on how service providers were readying vehicle data plans, so when the time is right and they roll out, we should get a good idea.

Ideally inbetween what smartphone and home internet plans are like.

I'm sure in a vehicle with a few devices connected you can eat through 1gb easily.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I don't see why we should expect pricing structure to differ significantly from what already exists for tablet phones?

The product up for purchase does not change, the vessel does. Is the Data on your phone different than on your tablet or eventually in your car, NO....

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't see why we should expect pricing structure to differ significantly from what already exists for tablet phones?

The product up for purchase does not change, the vessel does. Is the Data on your phone different than on your tablet or eventually in your car, NO....
Well all the companies don't charge the same for the amount of data so in way yea it's different and it's all about competition so the prices/packages will vary...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Well all the companies don't charge the same for the amount of data so in way yea it's different and it's all about competition so the prices/packages will vary...
yes thats true the price differs from carrier to carrier, but each carrier is relatively consistent with their cost per Gig (or whatever metric you wat to use) which is the point i was trying to make...

·
Registered
991 Posts
I think that the car WiFi is useful for some and really useless for others. Consider that you already pay a data plan for your phone. The extra data plan for your car would only be useful for things like laptop and tablets that don't already attach to the 3G network. So really its only useful if you have others in your car who are going to be using devices that need to attach to the web.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Not sure if you ever seen or owned a tablet but, it's known that they don't take direct connections like that from a service provider, instead they have a wifi-only connection.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think that the car WiFi is useful for some and really useless for others. Consider that you already pay a data plan for your phone. The extra data plan for your car would only be useful for things like laptop and tablets that don't already attach to the 3G network. So really its only useful if you have others in your car who are going to be using devices that need to attach to the web.
I'll join the "Useless for me" club. I already have a wifi hotspot plan for my phone and I use it for my (wifi-only) Nexus 7 in my 2012 Si. My phone has its own data plan so I wouldn't need wifi in my car for my phone.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I'll join the "Useless for me" club. I already have a wifi hotspot plan for my phone and I use it for my (wifi-only) Nexus 7 in my 2012 Si. My phone has its own data plan so I wouldn't need wifi in my car for my phone.
x2, I have a 10GB corporate data plan which in my case is cheap and i rarely go over the 5GB mark, with any tethering i can't imagine my usage passing my limit.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Not sure if you ever seen or owned a tablet but, it's known that they don't take direct connections like that from a service provider, instead they have a wifi-only connection.
There are a few tablets that you can set up with a direct 3G plan, but most just hook up to wifi. That is what I said in my last post though so I'm not sure what you are really getting at here.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There are a few tablets that you can set up with a direct 3G plan, but most just hook up to wifi. That is what I said in my last post though so I'm not sure what you are really getting at here.
Yep, exactly what I said...

·
Registered
991 Posts
The point is, I don't see much use for a WiFi connection, and I feel like few people would sign up for a plan. In certain circumstances it could be useful, but even then, you'd have to be in those circumstances fairly consistently to justify paying a monthly bill for data. Maybe once cars are autonomous, then I will buy a car data plan.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The point is, I don't see much use for a WiFi connection, and I feel like few people would sign up for a plan. In certain circumstances it could be useful, but even then, you'd have to be in those circumstances fairly consistently to justify paying a monthly bill for data. Maybe once cars are autonomous, then I will buy a car data plan.
I still would like Honda to have this feature included or at least as an option regardless if it wont be used as much...

1 - 20 of 75 Posts