10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Recently Porche has rejected Google's Android Auto in favour of Apple's CarPlay for the 2017 911 Carrera and Carrera S models due to data collection concerns.

Both systems allow users to connect to a car’s infotainment system via their smartphone but according to a few articles, including one from Motor Trend, Google's Android Auto supposedly demanded data such as the vehicle’s speed, throttle position, fluid temperatures, and engine revs from Porsche whereas Apple’s CarPlay system only checks the car's powertrain control module to make sure your vehicle is moving.

Google states that the listed data will not be collected by them and that “users opt in to share information with Android Auto that improves their experience, so the system can be hands-free when in drive, and provide more accurate navigation through the car's GPS."

Android is currently winning in the AndroidAuto vs Apple CarPlay poll but will Porsche’s rejection of it change your mind?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Data collection like that makes me nervous... just like the insurance companies that have those in car data collectors... i've heard horror stories about people getting speeding tickets in the mail because the company sells the information to law enforcement.

Not saying Android would do that... and they did say it was "opt in" but still...

·
Registered
959 Posts
Its an intersting question...

what does google need full OBD2 access for? The point about not giving data to a company making a car makes sense sure, but thats assuming google wants to build a car to compete with Porsche...

I'm willing to bet that the real hold up is that Google wants to sell that data. Could you imagine the data they could mine from OBD2 and then sell to insurers...things like red cars cost more to insure could be validated...

Even

"we know that on average Porsche drivers are X% more likely to speed so we've baked a Y% assumption into your premiums" or something like that...

·
Registered
959 Posts
Data collection like that makes me nervous... just like the insurance companies that have those in car data collectors... i've heard horror stories about people getting speeding tickets in the mail because the company sells the information to law enforcement.

Not saying Android would do that... and they did say it was "opt in" but still...
Totally...one of googles main revenue streams is the collection, packaging and resale of data... We all know how large and lucrative the insurance industry is... Googles just trying to get them hooked, data is like crack, hard to go back without...

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Doesn't change my opinion. I have both an Apple and Android phone and like both of them, but of course that will depend on what you need and like from these systems.

Porsche probably figured those faults of the Android system will be more concerning to its customer demographic than other brands, maybe Honda owners won't care nearly as much.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just found it a bit concerning when they stated that users can decide to opt in or not. Does that mean AndroidAuto is obsolete if I don't and most of it's functions are locked? Some apps on google play can't be downloaded without your consent information sharing so it limits what you can do.

·
Registered
165 Posts
this craving for information makes me feel uncomfortable
it's seems innocent at first sight but I have serious doubts about it

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't suppose anyone has either operating systems in their car? Just wondering how you opt in or out of things.

I don't mind Google tracking some things like my position and speed because at least some of that data goes to keeping Google map updated with real time traffic information but why would they need my throttle position, fluid temperatures, and engine revs?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Google's entire business is information. Information about which websites are best. Info about where things are. Info on what people search for. That is what Google has and uses and sells. Apple, on the other hand, is a hardware company. They don't really care about data in the same way that Google does.

It is concerning because you don't know what they are going to be doing with that data.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
One legit future use for them wanting access to this would be full gauges on the screen, oil temp and boost, exact fuel pressures you name it all up as gauges like the torque app does with the OBD dongles. But it would be built in. They could send you reminders for maintainece, or if you get a check engine light it could decode it and send the info to your phone. There are plenty of positive good uses they could have in mind.

Every GM car with on star and all the Hyundai vehicles with blue link already track all this info and they can see all this about your car anytime they want. And more.

Also, anyone walking around with an android phone, with gps enabled, and Facebook and Twitterand Google now tracking every move has little right to worry about one more data point being collected lol. iOS is no better. This worry around android auto is a non event, more likely it was more profitable or Apple cut a deal to be exclusive than real data concerns.

As a note I run an Android phone so I'm not just bashing them by any means.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it comes down to it I would prefer Android and Apple most likely cut Porsche a better deal. I think one of the articles suggested as much.
Can't be worse then what they're already collecting off of me right now with the phone apps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Full OBD2 access seems brilliant... install scanner app, do all sorts of cool things right from your touch screen. I'm pro Android on this.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Perhaps Porsche will join in with Ford and Toyota (I think) in creating their own system in house instead of just going with Apple or Google.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Perhaps Porsche will join in with Ford and Toyota (I think) in creating their own system in house instead of just going with Apple or Google.
I can't see Porsche doing something all by themselves while VW goes with Apple and ANdroid. But I also can't see them excluding Android users. I bet they just need to negotiate more with Google.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts