10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with winter fast approaching and already hitting in some areas, what would be the best winter/tire combo for the 10th gen? :p

figured someone had to start the discussion! might as well make it a sticky!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Do you guys switch to winter tires or do you prefer to go with all seasons? A good set of all seasons are a lot easier to deal with rather than changing your tires all the time.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
with take offs, it's easy. and hour job in the garage. and that is with a hand lug wrench! i haven't invested yet into a impact...make it faster.

the difference between winter tires and all season tires...is like trying to run a full sprint around a track with tennis shoes vs. track shoes. yes, the tennis shoes will do it, but, it could get a bit 'spirited' in the corners vs. the track shoes which are made for the track.

and don't forget, winter tires are more than just snow tires - they also help with traction at temps below 40 degrees...where all season's will lost a lot of traction below those temps. why they are called WINTER tires and not SNOW tires anymore.

·
Registered
170 Posts
If I came across Winter tires I'd probably just bury them in the backyard and make planter boxes out of them! Where I live we have Summer 11 months out of the year which results in no need for Winter tires.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
One of the first things I changed on my car was new Pilot Sport A/S tires.These are UHP and do a adequate job in ice and snow.As a summer tire they are great.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Does anybody put chains on their tires for the snow?

I do! But for funsies, not for the snow. Give it a little while and more people will chime in when the site gets more members.

@DWils is a lucky guy
Thanks! But all that means is I have no idea how to drive in the snow. I think I've done it like twice in the 15 years of driving under my belt - once in a 1997 Civic LX and the other time in my 2007 Fit base that almost got stuck in a 3-inch snowbank trying to get onto the street from a parking lot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I always get winter tires. Been running Michelin X-Ice tires on my only 2 vehicles and always got through winter without issue. Also knowing how to drive in winter is another thing to know how to do.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had both and winter tires performed much better for me than all seasons with better traction on really low temps...

·
Registered
876 Posts
I had both and winter tires performed much better for me than all seasons with better traction on really low temps...
That last point is what a lot of people miss out on. Most just see the need for getting through snow and not about traction when it's cold in other situations.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Some performance winter tires would get anyone through winter, wet/dry roads and granted not driving like a dumbass in the snow would help...

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
through my experience they go a long way in helping

never used to run winters,
always had all seasons till they got too unsafe for winter, then went for winters.

·
Registered
959 Posts
of course, even the worst winter tire will outperform the best winter rated all season. It was a cost consideration, and Nokian is a reputable and trusted brand when it comes to winter driving, thats why I was comfortable. As always the tires are just an advantage you add to being cautious not a be all end all solution...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts